Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sign: Don't leave valuables in car

Sign: Don't leave valuables in car

tim--I don't know what kind of insurance jason has, but I've had a policy for a long time through the NPPA. Over the years, just to save money & to be realistic about it, I've pared it down to my "working" gear. I basically cover the gear that I take out for freelance work. The policy runs to about 15,000 dollars minimum in gear for a flat rate, then there's rate on top of this per 1000 or something like that. Over the past 15 yrs or so, I've pared my stuff down to keep it within this margin. It covers theft (has to be evidence of theft from a *locked* vehicle, there're 2 policies, a cheaper one for trunk storage, one a bit more for open storage), but it also covers damage from natural events--not conflicts. Covers breakage as well (like if I drop a lens). It will cover the cost of a rental piece of equipment while the other is being repaired etc, and it will cover any gear that I rent as well. It's all replacement value, but the min is about 500 bucks, so there's a point where certain items aren't really worth covering in some ways. I used to cover alot more than I do now, but mostly I do the big ticket items. It costs me about 500+ bucks a year though. I look at it as a business expense, so, like I said--I insure the work cameras. the work cameras would put a hurt on me if they got ripped off, I would really regret a loss of one of my rolleis or my leica, but when I look back at what has made me money in the past--it's been nikons, mamiyas and a cambo.

Sign: Don't leave valuables in car

Thanks for the warning.

My car was just broken into tonight while I was at work.

I had just taken some test photos of my kids at a park. I used my Century Graphic, 80mm Xenotar, and 47mm Super Angulon on a tiltall monopod.

When I got to work I brought my camera bag inside. Lucky me my gear is safe and sound. They didnt bother to steal my monopod, or my sandals (which are like 10 years old and my wife makes me leave them outside cause they smell so bad).

I still have to pay like $400 to get the windows fixed.