Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing stuck part of a broken thread adaptor

Removing stuck part of a broken thread adaptor

I knew this was a stupid thing to do, but it worked for 5 years and I actually forgot it was on there: used a brass 1/4 - 3/8 converter to mount a tripod plate on the 'Dorff and upon removal it broke, with part of it seized in there.

It's below the flush surface. No amount of screwdriver coaxing will move it. Do I need to get a tap & die set or has anyone got any bright ideas?? If I DID go the re-tap route, does anyone know the thread size?

Thanks in advance!
    Please email me - my inbox is always full.. (press ALT and click on my name, then select "Send email to Uri A"). Thanks!

Re: Removing stuck part of a broken thread adaptor

I did the same thing. Luckily, a good friend had one of those reverse screw driver thread kits for his drill. They seem to work by driving new thread taps into the remains and that grips deeply so that when you reverse the drill, it pulls out the remains quite easily. The whole process took less than a minute. If you don't know anyone who likes tinkering enough to have one of these, a local machine shop or carpenter probably has a set and can help you.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Thank you Tim! I know just the man.

Did I buy something from you recently? I owe a few thank you received in good condition emails....
    Please email me - my inbox is always full.. (press ALT and click on my name, then select "Send email to Uri A"). Thanks!

Yes you did, but I've been lightening the closet shelves of several items and can't remember which one(s) you purchased. Whatever it was, hopefully it arrived in great shape and you are making better use of it than I did.

Good luck on the thread issue.

By the way, I've used both brass and steel inserts and it seems like the steel is more brittle and breaks off more easily, but I still prefer them to the brass. Since the brass is softer, they seem to stay in the receiver threads more strongly even though they are unlike metals. Anyway, both work well until they break as we have both found.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Haha! It was either a Gitzo reporter tripod, or a Gitzo horizontal extension rod. Either way, I was happy and thanks! It's shameful of me not to at least inform the sender of the items arrival, let alone thank them for a clean deal. Anyway.

That's the last time I ever use one of those #$%^&* things. As an assistant I used to have one on my keyring and they saved the day on numerous occasions, but when you've settled down and have your own kit, there's no excuse to use them.

Will ask about the screw remover thing you suggested. I hope it doesn't damage my baseplate thread too much is all...

Happy shooting and thanks Tim!

Sometimes the tool is called an Easy Out.

If there is a tiny nub of the broken piece sticking out you can tap on it with a small screwdriver and hammer in a counter-clockwise manner and unscrew it.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Thank you Jon!

Totally flush under the surface and I tried scraping every which way. I will find the tool from a friend or buy one.

Uri,

It was the horizontal rod. Glad you are pleased with it.

I've gone through at least six or eight of those inserts in my career (since the seventies) that have broken, but I've only had the one get stuck and I think it was because I initially tightened it so far that it could not turn loose with reasonable force and so it broke with the remains staying stuck. By the way, those tools for removing it will never touch the 3/8 threads, only those on the adapter, so no worries at all.

Have you ever had one stick to the tripod screw and spin right out of the camera or head? One surprised me like that and it was again because I snugged it down too light by using the monorail to twist as the final tighening process on the tripod. Had to use heavy duty pliers to get that unjammed and of course ruined the threads. I'm pretty sure that over tightening is my enemy with these.

Ari,
    Here is one version of Easy Outs as an example.

How to use easy outs: