Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you cut ground glass corners?

Re: How do you cut ground glass corners?

A Dremel tool with cutting disc also works well..........If you've got one.

I usually leave glass cutting for glass shops because I ruin nearly every piece I touch.
    Yes, thats my experience too.
    Glaziers have told me that recently made glass is easier to cut than NOS glass.
    Part of the problem is that cheap glass cutters are not really up to the job.

Yeah, i do have a dremel and cutting discs. I like that idea. My wife commented that the camera all looks really nice except for the ground glass corners. Maybe I'll dremel the second ground glass.

retrogrouchy

When scoring, you must score ONCE only and with great force; going slowly helps. If you take multiple swipes at it or go back & forth, the scratches won't perfectly coincide and you won't get a clean break - it will wander away from where you scored. Use an oil-lubricated diamond scorer. Small breaks are harder to get right compared to longer ones (e.g. dividing a sheet into two).

Some good suggestions and I would only add that a glass cutter that has a cutting wheel in excellent condition is a must for clean cuts. Glass cutters are inexpensive and if not sure of the condition I would buy a new one. Also dipping the cutter in mineral spirits (paint thinner) will lubricate the cutter and make a clean cut easier to achieve. Make sure the glass is lying flat and well supported underneath so there will be no flex when you put pressure on the straight edge. Lube cutter and drag across glass (once only) with even pressure. Lightly tap glass on the opposite side of cut. Usually you can see the score line deepen through the glass where the cutter was used. Anyway, tap right on the score line with ball end of glass cutter from underneath and if you are lucky the corner will snap off with little effort and cleanly. If you have some glass scrap around it would help to practice cutting to get the feel for it. Emory cloth works well for killing the sharp edge of the cut. Good luck.

I think I like the Dremel idea best. That glass is very thin and delicate. I had one cut down to fit my Calumet C1 by a glass shop that had a glass grinder. They went out of business, and I couldn't find anyone else who had one the next time I needed one cut down. So I took it to another glass shop and they broke it, it was just too thin. Good that it was only $10 worth of glass, but disappointing nonetheless.

And if you're going to use any kind of grinding/cutting wheel, be very sure to wear a dust mask of some kind - glass particles in the lung are not good for you.