Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How does one tell if they have a real Toho?

How does one tell if they have a real Toho?

I think it's sort of short-sighted everytime I hear someone say they are never going to use eBay again because of one bad experience. Not to mention we don't even know yet whether this even was a bad experience. eBay has given unprecedented access to stuff that otherwise would have been forgotten in attics and closets everywhere. I would even say that it has contributed to the life of our landfills, although I'm not a hard-core environmentalist. I have purchased many items that I never would have found used in a million years, and thus didn't have to spend the money for new. However, I have always been able to be patient and keep my head when bidding. It's really silly to knock eBay when it has obviously changed our lives in many ways. Large format photographers should know this better than most. Before eBay, how many of us could take our pick of the relatively obscure tools of our craft without an impossible amount of camera store visits or phone calls, or looking at Shutterbug ads that are a month old before the issue hits the newstand or mailbox? Not to mention the fact that one could just as easily get burned in these venues. End of rant! (but it was a good-natured rant!)

JL,

Please don't misinterpret my post. I think eBay is great for most people. But I must confess I get the worries every time I buy through them. It's my own personality defect I guess. I do agree with your statement. Maybe I need some whisky with each eBay purchase. Sip slowly and tell myself "everything 'll be all right"!

*Knocks on wood* My few Ebay purchases have all been positive experiences. I must admit that I had researched the items reasonably well, and knew what I wanted. My favorite purchase was my beloved 16 1/2" RD Apo Artar in Universal #4 for $420. Not an exceptional deal, but certainly fair, and from a seller with zero feedback. My toes still curl when I look at trannies made with that lens. And whiskey does help, as long as one keeps one's head.