Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Darlot : is this lens any good?

Re: Darlot : is this lens any good?

So there is small, big and huge in these lenses ? How big is huge?

I start to understand Alex' frustration that a know-nothing like me bought it, but I'm slowly learning. ...

I think the seller is mistaken. This is not a size that would have required a speciality built camera. They were always fitted with this size lens.
    How big is the opening at the back and, most important, any plate holders?
    I am not expert on the Cone models, but it appears you have a very flexible variant - if it needs letters to identify parts! Will check for the model.

Corrado's book has a couple of examples, just before and just after yours - he says 1864.
    Perhaps you ought to show the photo to your wife?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails belgium.jpg  

Thanks, very interesting!
    What are the sizes given at the bottom of the descriptions in the picture?

I'll take measurements of the camera tomorrow at the office.

I can't garantee this, but checking a few of his illustrated lenses with some identical lenses I have, he seems to have quoted the total measureable length (including hoods) and the biggest "circular" width, that is, either flange external diameter or lens hood. Not what I would have done!

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

We all look for great deals. Congratulations on a nice purchase!

Quote Originally Posted by alex from holland View Post
    The add says it has been sold already. I think way to cheap. So someone had a bargain...
    Alex it was me and I THOUGHT I had a bargain, but the seller obviously was approached separately by the buyer and did not honour the auction! No worries, I am glad it went to someone who is not a collector. Also I wanted the 50cm not this size so not as upset as I could have been ;-)...congratulations Stefan...though it is a strange way to operate an auction/classified site.

Kal by the way..just realised you may not know my user name ;-)

Stefan...from a similar lens description

Brass Lens "D. Paysage" by Darlot "Darlot Opticien" and "Darlot a Paris", no. 27796, combined lens-style. With original push-in diaphragm disks and rear lens cap behind the diaphragms. Front lens cap and an additional pillow between front cap and front lens. The single operating parts are marked alphabetically: A (rack and pinion screw), B (screw-in ring), C (front lens), E (lens hood), F (rear ring), G (rear lens) and H (fixing screw for distance setting). Diameter of front cap 6 1/3 in., length of lens approx. 13 in.

I am not sure but I read somewhere once that combination type actually have different attachments e.g one for landscape, one for portrait etc. so yours may bd just landscape and you would need the portrait combination part?...whereas ones marked portrait/paysage could be converted just by removing the rear element and switching the front to back while reversing it. Maybe someone else can confirm that.

Alex Timmermans

All cones can be converted to landscape lenses. The inside should look like an old pill box lens. If not than it is missing hte insde part.
    And don't get me wrong. I am NOT frustrated you bought it! From the beginning it was YOUR deal as you found the add first.
    As I told you, great deal!

Regarding the camera. Is it a Narita or Nears? They made studio camera's and were based in Brussel.
    "You dont take a picture, it's given to you"

www.alextimmermans.com
    www.collodion-art.blogspot.com
    email : collodion-art dot onsmail dot nl