Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Drum scanning, any good books or websites:

Re: Drum scanning, any good books or websites:

FYI - I've posted a couple of photos of my DIY mounting station in the other thread (mentioned earlier in this thread)

Quote Originally Posted by cdavis324 View Post
    Good luck. The clean install may fix your problem, but if it doesn't try installing the scsi driver for your card. There's a list of cards on the yahoo forum that should work in osX...
    Thanks, I'll keep you all updated.

OS X, 10.4 in particular, can be a bit temperamental when it comes to SCSI cards. The best thing to do is get one of four Adaptec cards whose numbers are in the list of drivers (29160, 39160, 2930, 2906) included with 10.4 system. The latter two exist in several iterations, some of which don't work well on a Mac. The last driver (78XX) refers to the main chip on many Adaptec cards, many of which may work, though some require flashing - I'd stay away from that. In some instances, and this is maybe due to do the logicboard of some of the later G4 Macs, you need to remove all four .kext drivers and install just the driver for the card you have from the .dmg (all are on Adaptec website). And, as with anything SCSI, restart.

Saratoga, CA

I have a video on how to wet mount film on a ScanMate drum. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCHS5yiF4Mc
    Mr.Gale

... I've seen yours and Lenny's several times already, Bob

Quote Originally Posted by LF_rookie_to_be View Post
    OS X, 10.4 in particular, can be a bit temperamental when it comes to SCSI cards. The best thing to do is get one of four Adaptec cards whose numbers are in the list of drivers (29160, 39160, 2930, 2906) included with 10.4 system. The latter two exist in several iterations, some of which don't work well on a Mac. The last driver (78XX) refers to the main chip on many Adaptec cards, many of which may work, though some require flashing - I'd stay away from that. In some instances, and this is maybe due to do the logicboard of some of the later G4 Macs, you need to remove all four .kext drivers and install just the driver for the card you have from the .dmg (all are on Adaptec website). And, as with anything SCSI, restart.
    Thank you for this information, I have a AVA2906 SCSI card for each of the G4 systems, I also have a Adaptec 29160N which I tried on my Windows XP PC system but that asked me to update the firmware on the scanner, when I went to the abc-scan website it would not allow me to download the firmware as I was not registered so it was back to the drawing board and back to the MACs which I am completely unfamiliar with.

This is as much my problem as the scanning software is as I am not too familiar with MACs having been a PC user since the mid 90s, but I am sure I will get there eventually.

Ed,

29160N card should work. Try doing a clean re-install of OS X 10.4, card driver (29160N) and ColorQuartet from Abc-can website. Firmware is updated through CQscan (11000 firmware).

Quote Originally Posted by LF_rookie_to_be View Post
    Ed,

29160N card should work. Try doing a clean re-install of OS X 10.4, card driver (29160N) and ColorQuartet from Abc-can website. Firmware is updated through CQscan (11000 firmware).
    Thanks very much, I'll have another go this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Bray View Post
    Thank you for this information, I have a AVA2906 SCSI card for each of the G4 systems, I also have a Adaptec 29160N which I tried on my Windows XP PC system but that asked me to update the firmware on the scanner, when I went to the abc-scan website it would not allow me to download the firmware as I was not registered so it was back to the drawing board and back to the MACs which I am completely unfamiliar with.

This is as much my problem as the scanning software is as I am not too familiar with MACs having been a PC user since the mid 90s, but I am sure I will get there eventually.
    Ed, I was planning to run mine on an old Mac, as reading on the web seems to bring that up as the usual option. But having installed XP (as a dual-boot for testing) it worked perfectly, so I'm sticking with that. I'm not a fan of modern macs, let alone old ones, but XP is pretty solid and familiar.

One of my scanners required a firmware update, I just had to point CQ at the file and it did it all automatically. A single reboot and it worked fine.

Okay, I have got the scanner up and working on my Main PC after installing the 29160N card and using the firmware upgrade that Marin supplied, I am using Windows XP Home 32 Bit as a dual boot along with Windows 7 64 Bit. This is great as I can now save the scans onto an internal 1TB drive and then work on them in 64Bit using CS6 from Windows 7 without having to move files around with memory sticks and the like.

I'm not sure how I will explain the lack of use of the 2x G4s and single G5 PowerMacs I bought to make this work. :-(

Still, happy days and thanks to you all for your help and suggestions, and I did manage to find a couple of books that may (or may not) prove useful:

Complete Scanner Handbook for Desktop Publishing: 1990-1991: Macintosh Edition

The Scanner Handbook: Complete Guide to the Use and Applications of Desktop Scanners

Not too much to lose if they prove to be of little use, they only cost me £2.81 each including shipping. :-)