Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Today's Underpriced Acquisition

Re: Today's Underpriced Acquisition

Quote Originally Posted by pierre506 View Post
    Linhof III's lens board size is different from IV, V, MASTER, 2000 and 3000.
    As is almost everything else about the IIIs and the later versions. As I learned the hard way, even things that look identical on the outside aren't necessarily identical on the inside.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I am not sure why we are not happy on Mr. Slade "score/find". A great "score/find" are terms that have been used on this forum on many occassions. I am sure, if any of us was in Mr. Slade's position we would have had the same, if not similar excitement of the "underpriced acquisition". Trade is never fair, however, if the two trading partners seem satisfied, then the camera was fairly acquired :-)

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I'm happy for him, and skeptical of the potentially dubious method at the same time. For me this story emphasizes the improtance of doing sufficient homework to establish value/price versus asking a single random expert who may have vested interests. But in the end... I'm betting that those guys who sold the gear probably skipped away heppily thinking they were the ones coming out ahead on the deal.

I make them tell me a price - that way they are happy and I didn't trick them into anything

if they ask the value... I try to be reasonably fair with the valuation .. one can't tell if problems are hidden in it and I usually assume the worst.... and then I'll again ask what his price is and either buy it or tell him what I would pay ..which might be way less than my valuation - but it is then up to them to decide

I've been to garage sales and see some guy bargaining down some widow on a rollieflex or leica from the 50 she was asking to 25 or 20

and I think: come on dude..pay the 50.. it's way worth it and you know it and make a widow happy

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I'd be very happy to pay a widow $50 for a Rollei. I have never met such a widow, however.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTang View Post

I've been to garage sales and see some guy bargaining down some widow on a rollieflex or leica from the 50 she was asking to 25 or 20

and I think: come on dude..pay the 50.. it's way worth it and you know it and make a widow happy
    I used to go to garage/yard sales and estate sales on a weekly basis when my daughter was small. I would buy like new clothes and toys for next to nothing. I was always on the look out for camera gear but all I found was Polaroids, Kodak Brownies, and cheap plastic Time/Life Magazine 35mm cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTang View Post
    I make them tell me a price - that way they are happy and I didn't trick them into anything.

If they ask the value... I try to be reasonably fair with the valuation .. one can't tell if problems are hidden in it and I usually assume the worst.... and then I'll again ask what his price is and either buy it or tell him what I would pay ..which might be way less than my valuation - but it is then up to them to decide.

I've been to garage sales and see some guy bargaining down some widow on a rollieflex or leica from the 50 she was asking to 25 or 20 and I think: come on dude..pay the 50.. it's way worth it and you know it and make a widow happy...

____

I think that this is an Excellent 'reply' to this Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    ... But all I found was Polaroids, Kodak Brownies, and cheap plastic Time/Life Magazine 35mm cameras.
    ____

And to think that I once thought... That it was 'Only' the Garage Sales in my Neighbourhood -- That were like that! LOL.
    Best,

-Tim.

________

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    Personally, when it happens to me (not often enough, but it does), I simply agree to the price asked. I do not tell people what it's worth or what I would have paid. But if someone is selling a $1K camera for $100, I don't try to haggle them down to $50. However, I depend on people bringing me stuff and trusting my appraisals, so if word ever got out that I did that to someone, my business would suffer.
    Me either, but I WILL tell them it's worth ten times what they are asking and, if I want it and am willing to pay that, will make them a lower but not insulting offer - like in your case, say, "It's probably worth $1000 if you find the right buyer but I can't do that. I'd like to have it and will give you $750" or whatever.

I'm not sure this camera is worth ten times the "appraisal" though. I bought a Tech III with three good clean lenses on boards, a shoulder bag, and some miscelaneous hoods and such back in the 90s for, IIRC, $450 or so. It's undoubtedly worth less now. And mine wasn't coated over though it didn't have the rangefinder.

I am pretty sure it was worth more than $75 though.

Quote Originally Posted by tautatis View Post
    I am not sure why we are not happy on Mr. Slade "score/find". A great "score/find" are terms that have been used on this forum on many occassions. I am sure, if any of us was in Mr. Slade's position we would have had the same, if not similar excitement of the "underpriced acquisition". Trade is never fair, however, if the two trading partners seem satisfied, then the camera was fairly acquired :-)
    I can fully understand why mny feel the OP should have paid more, but he's been honest here with his expanation, so I agree with your comments.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I'd be very happy to pay a widow $50 for a Rollei. I have never met such a widow, however.
    Just bought a fully functional Rollei(cord) for less than that off a dealer needs new leather but I have quite a few meters . . . . . . . . . .

Ian