Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stainless Steel developing tanks for 8X10?

Stainless Steel developing tanks for 8X10?

Hello everybody,

I'm pretty much new to large format photography, I have been shooting 35mm and medium format since film and now shoot digital, but always loved the look of 8X10. So on my last photoshoot I rented an 8X10 and shot a bunch of film, and now I have a box of exposed film that I need to develop. I was just wondering reading here about the developing tanks and all, and was curious about why can't we just use a large 35mm developing tank, like this:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details

Is it just because it doesn't fit the 8X10 film (I couldn't find the specs for the tank anywhere with measurements) or is there another reason?

Thanks in advance!

Andre

Re: Stainless Steel developing tanks for 8X10?

pass
    Tin Can

First, that's plastic. Second, your films emulsion will be wrapped too tight and not be exposed to the developer.

People develop 8x10 in tubes all day long. Just not those. Bigger tubes r required.

It probably will hold a sheet of 8x10, but is not really cheap and your film might knock about if it doesn't fit properly. BZTS tubes are around $30 and a bit closer if you buy more than one. If I'm not mistaken, the BZTS tubes have notches so the film will stay in place inside the tube.

If you want an affordable way, just use trays. They can be had real cheap, especially compared to 8x10 film.

Be careful playing with fire though, once you saw a negative of that size you're done. An easy test if it's too late for you to turn back to a smaller format is to use the tape measure-test. It's real easy, as long as you haven't gotten your tape measure out to see if the guest bedroom is big enough for a darkroom you're fine.

____

Hi Andre,

Welcome to the 'World of LF'!
    --
    Andre... If you are perhaps interested in Developing your 8x10 Sheet Film in 'BTZS Processing Tubes'... I just noticed yesterday, that if you purchase a (Set of Three (3) ) -- That they are even cheaper than $30/Each!

http://www.viewcamerastore.com/8x10-...ubes-set-of-3/

Note:

I personally, choose to Develop my Sheet Film using a different method... But I have always heard nothing but 'Good Things' about the BTZS B&W Film Processing Tubes.
    --
    Best,

-Tim.

________

Quote Originally Posted by C_Remington View Post
    First, that's plastic. Second, your films emulsion will be wrapped too tight and not be exposed to the developer.

People develop 8x10 in tubes all day long. Just not those. Bigger tubes r required.

Hi C_Remington, you're right! I guess I had the wrong link copied... But basically what I meant was to use normal 35mm/120 to develop 8X10 sheets. Now I understand that the issue wouldn't be the height, but rather the radius and the fact that the film will overlap itself inside the tube. I was just wishing for something that I could go to B&H and get it instead of ordering online. Maybe I'll call some smaller stores here in NYC and see if they have any tubes.

If you are just curious, try tray development. But it is not as easy as it looks to get evenly developed, scratch-free negatives with tray development. It takes careful methods and experience.

The BTZS tubes are slower but more consistent and fool proof. They are available at The View Camera Store.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Schneider View Post
    Hello everybody,

I'm pretty much new to large format photography, I have been shooting 35mm and medium format since film and now shoot digital, but always loved the look of 8X10. So on my last photoshoot I rented an 8X10 and shot a bunch of film, and now I have a box of exposed film that I need to develop. I was just wondering reading here about the developing tanks and all, and was curious about why can't we just use a large 35mm developing tank, like this:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details

Is it just because it doesn't fit the 8X10 film (I couldn't find the specs for the tank anywhere with measurements) or is there another reason?

Thanks in advance!

Andre
    The tank from the link should work with 8x10 film but you can only do 1 negative at a time. I use a tank that is close to the same size as this tank, the difference being the one I use is metal and not plastic. The description states that the tank will hold five 120 rolls and that is how many my tank holds. The 120 roll film spools I have are 2.5 inches tall and 10.25 inches measuring around the outside. So this tank from B&H would be about 12.5 inches tall and the inside should be big enough to hold on 8x10 negative.
    Questions and comments are always welcome

Pro I bought my darkroom room from included 4 Kodak #4A stainless film holders trimmed down to the film holder portion only. Allowed him to tray process 4 4 x 5's in a 11 x 14 tray at a time.
    Single 8 x 10 holder cut to film frame only in a tray will work. Keeps the film off the tray bottom and provides easy manipulation.

Yesterday on eBay someone was selling a stainless steel developing tank for 8x10 film. It came with a couple film racks, too.