Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "New" Gralab darkroom timer

Re: "New" Gralab darkroom timer

Ok. Perhaps volume control was the wrong word. I just want to be able to turn the buzzer off. The new one from B&H had no switch at the bottom right as shown in the pictures above.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    They all have the buzzer. It used to have a buzzer on/off switch.

Apparently it now has a volume control (multi-position switch?).

- Leigh
    My bad, meant to type volume control. As a matter of fact, even if I turn the volume all the way down on mine, it still emits a weak croaking sound.

Quote Originally Posted by cuypers1807 View Post
    Ok. Perhaps volume control was the wrong word. I just want to be able to turn the buzzer off. The new one from B&H had no switch at the bottom right as shown in the pictures above.
    Oh my old one has a switch to turn the buzzer OFF (located on top in the center, can post photo later if you want) just not to lower the volume. You have two choices - wake the neighbors a block away or just a nearly silent click when time is up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    I have several Gralabs thinking they were no longer made.
    They're still made. The company makes much more than darkroom equipment, so it's never gone out of business. Still, this is one of those items that you wonder why you'd buy one new for almost $200 when used ones are all over the place for $20-25, if you're patient.

http://www.gralab.com/

I actually prefer the model 170 over the 300, as is does not glow in the dark (I know - but I, personally, have no need for that) and the switches are water-proofed - handy when I am doing film processing. Having said that, there is something mechanically wrong with my 170, and so I am using a 300 until I get the urge to open up the 170 and see if I can fix it.

I have a Model 168 from the 60s with the buzzer on/off switch on top (no volume control), and I only used the buzzer one time (never again). Much later I got a used 300 that has the volume control, but it stays OFF as well to avoid waking up family in the wee hours (and the dogs would have fits). Then I got a Model 655 digital for the enlarger which also has volume control (it too stays OFF for same reason) + display dimming. All are still chugging along fine. Neither 168 nor the 655 show up in their list of discontinued timers for some reason, but the 300 is shown (without the volume control). I am amused by the mfr's statement that the buzzer can be heard above ambient noise level; I can't imagine anyone working in such an environment if they value their hearing, but I suspect it can be heard with hearing protection gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Oh my old one has a switch to turn the buzzer OFF (located on top in the center, can post photo later if you want) just not to lower the volume. You have two choices - wake the neighbors a block away or just a nearly silent click when time is up.
    Sounds like the one I got for $10 so many years ago.
    Michael Cienfuegos

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Volume control?

In almost 60 years of using Gralab 300 timers, I've never encountered one with a volume control.

- Leigh
    I've had a couple. I wish I had kept them, because the volume feature is quite nifty when you work at night, while your family is sleeping upstairs.

I'm just fondly remembering the days when I could get $75 for a Gralab. I guess I can't feel too badly about selling my volume-control timers, all things considered.

It appears several folks have seen the volume control.

I recall the buzzer on/off switch like Roger mentioned, which I always had turned off.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

I also have the "no volume control" unit with buzzer on/off. Bought it new I'm 1968...Still works like a charm, but I prefer models like 505, 605, etc. because of the pedal control, and possibility of repeating time intervals, which are absent from the 300. Also, being without much experience, the 300 with its big whitish glow in the dark indicators make me very nervous in the darkroom when loading 4x5 film in film holders, or unloading them prior to processing, so I hide it in a cupboard, and do not use it often because of this.
    J. K.

You definitely do not want any glow-in-the-dark instruments out and visible while working with film.

I have one timer with a luminous face. I throw a black apron over it when working with film.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.