Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacuuming film holders

Vacuuming film holders

In the home page article on loading sheet film the author comments on vacuuming holders. Is there any special vacuum to use for this task? On line retailers have a 3M, somewhat pricey but highly rated. There are other machines used for computer and electronic applications.Some are for cleaning toner. Lots of accessories for home and shop vacs. I would welcome any experiences, recommendations, suggestions. Tried to search it but kept coming up with vacuum holders.

Thanks

Ken

Re: Vacuuming film holders

This is what I use—http://tinyurl.com/kk779ho

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

As long as it sucks.......
    Put the unit itself in another room and control it via remote switch (the 15amp kind they sell for Christmas lights will work). That way you don't have the exhaust blowing around when you load them.

I just use the family upright vacuum, which has a hose attachment. It has seemed prudent, however, to at least point the vacuum exhaust stream toward an open door leading to another room. An important thing is to also vacuum the work area where you will be loading your film holders.

Keith

I use a cheap Sears shop vac that looks and cost similar to what Richard uses.

Like Vinny says, "As long as it sucks....." and I'll add that cheap and portable is nice too!

If you happen to have a doggy door, run the hose through that as well.

Personally, I prefer to use a very damp(almost dry) sponge to wipe down an area(if loading in a d/r), or if I feel the need to clean out my Harrison tent before loading up holders.

-Dan

I use a Mini Shop Vac and the smallest attachment kit I could find, dedicated to cleaning holders and camera innards. You can find these on sale at the big box home improvement stores around Christmas time. Before I got mine I used a little vacuum (Micro or Mini, I think I got it from Freestyle) used for computers, but it didn't last very long---maybe 3 or 4 years.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I have a little vacuum made to clean out nooks and crannies in cars. I bought it unused at a yard sale for $2 but they aren't much more than that new. Any sucky widget swill work, I think.

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

I use the Dyson with the flattened nozzle. It is important not to get too close or it will suck the holder violently onto the nozzle and risk damaging it.

RR

Using a vacuum presumes a clean environment - which is a bad bet. Often all you do is to suck dust from the surroundings into the film holder.

The best, IMHO, is to use a new, lint-free cloth to clear the holder of dust, etc..