Thread: A website with 617 aerials---thankyou Mr. Boulware!

A website with 617 aerials---thankyou Mr. Boulware!

I logged on to Knott's Berry Farm's website to get the latest info on a family outing I'm contemplating---well, you know how that goes: Knotts Berry Farm has a link to a narrow guage site that reviewed the park's railroad, which in turn lead to more links and....suddenly I'm surfing like Duke Kahanumoku! Then up pops a familiar name, Richard Boulware, who often posts here. I had to take a look and was treated to a series of 617 color aerial panoramas of the Durango & Silverton. Really, really cool. If you're interested in aerials, steam trains or panoramas, take a look at http://www.narrowguage.org/EOC/html/eac.html Cheers!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

John,

The link doesn't work. How many train buffs do we have here? If you're ever in Sacramento, be sure to check out the Railroad Musem there, it's very cool.

I think John must have been a bit excited when he was typing - try this

Sorry--- I "html"ed too many times!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

John, thank you for your kind words. Only two of the posted shots were used for Kodak 'Colorama' shots....the 'Morning Train to Silverton' and the 'Cumbres Pass' autumn panorama. The others were posted just for railroad fans and railroad and mining historians.

The Fuji 617 is an amazing camera camera in that using the lens wide open there is sharpness and illumination fall off. By the time I stopped the lens down to f-16 or f-22 the illumination fall of vanished and lens sharpness was amazingly good...even holding up for the 6' hight by 18' wide transparencies that Kodak made in their Rochester plant.

David Vickery

Wow, I can't believe it, this is just amazing. I am now going to Coloroda. There really is a South Park!! Of course, it looks a little bigger on TV. Nice photos too.
    Sudek ambled across my mind one day and took his picture. Only he knows where it is.
    David Vickery

John - thanks for the (corrected ;-) ) link.

Richard - excellent work. Love the train shots. I wish we had more interesting trains to shoot around San Jose. Have you ever photographed the famed Tehachapi Loop?

Very nice stuff! I like the mine images most of all. Yes, the Fuji 617 is an awesome tool. We have one at work and I love working with it although it has to be the right kind of shot to use with that format. I too it down to Albuq. NM and shot some really nice vistas with real excitement in getting the film home to develop the film!

Ralph Barker: Yes Ralph, I do know about the Tehachapi Loop, but I have not photographed there.

I did shoot a series in the 70's on trains in Solidad Canyon, on assignment for the Association of American Railroads. Most of the shots were at twilight or the pre-dawn hours when the light was very dramatic. Thanks.