Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help! I'm teetering and afraid of what might happen...

Help! I'm teetering and afraid of what might happen...

Please pardon the goofy title of this post, but I'm really worried I might be coming upon a serious crossroads in my life - or in other words, my photography. Let me try to explain and maybe with your help, your wisdom and your reason, I'll come out of this intact -

1. About two months ago I bought a DSLR, a Nikon D300 from a well known forum member. I've owned DSLRs before, but I'd never seriously considered making "The Switch" and I never really thought of using a digital camera as anything other then a "Polaroid back", if you know what I mean.

2. Recently, I came to the point where I think I have everything I could want or need with regard to the kind of large format film photography that I do. I have nice cameras in formats up to 8x10, I have every lens I think I need, and I have my darkroom, such as it is, set up and fitted out about as well as it possibly could be. I even have a pretty compete set of lighting and studio type gear, though rarely used, just because it's appropriate to a Photographer's kit! Basically, I'm at that rarefied point where, given a blank check to buy anything photography (equipment) related I want, I cannot easily think of anything at all.

As I'm sure it is with many - most? - of you, there is almost always something you're saving for, searching for, dreaming about, etc., with regard to some lens, or camera or whatever. In some strange way, always striving for that next piece of gear, then finally getting it, then working on the next thing, kinda makes it seem (to me anyway, in retrospect) that you're actually striving for and occasionally reaching, photographic goals.

3. And now, after all that, I seem to be coming into the biggest creative slump I've yet experienced - and I've been through some bad ones! I'm at the point of thinking that I could probably sell everything and have enough for a very nice Full Frame, or maybe even Medium Format digital outfit, including Mac computers and inkjet printers. I'm afraid I only feel this way because I'm not currently "striving" for any new gear right now and my photography seems lifeless, pointless and hopeless.

Please help! I don't [think] I really want to go digital!

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Re: Help! I'm teetering and afraid of what might happen...

If your photography seems pointless, maybe it's time to take a break for some completely different creative (or uncreative) pursuit. It's hard to imagine changing camera sensor sizes is going to magically make things new again. Unless you have some strong reason to believe so.
    Last edited by paulr; 11-Aug-2013 at 17:12.

1) Welcome to the crowd.
    2) Large Format is a state of mind, not a negative size.
    3) Keep your old stuff -- it's more fun to fondle than the latest gee-whiz digital whiz-bang.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Been there and back; keep your 4x5s and 8x10s, one day you will cherish them again, and use them with a vengeance.
    Try not to get caught up in the pixel-chasing, or the endless accessorizing of MFDB gear (it's like LF, but for doctors and lawyers )
    Shoot film, and pay less attention to the toys and gathering them as means to an end.
    Find something completely different to do while you recharge your batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    In some strange way, always striving for that next piece of gear, then finally getting it, then working on the next thing, kinda makes it seem (to me anyway, in retrospect) that you're actually striving for and occasionally reaching, photographic goals.

And now, after all that, I seem to be coming into the biggest creative slump I've yet experienced - ... I'm afraid I only feel this way because I'm not currently "striving" for any new gear right now and my photography seems lifeless, pointless and hopeless.
    You have equated "photographic goals" with obtaining new gear. Perhaps you should try setting a photographic goal around what kind of work you want to produce. You probably (seems likely) already have sufficient tools to achieve any number of goals as far as actually making photographs. If you do formulate a goal that requires some specific tool that you do not already have (mechanics, woodworkers, etc. have the same issues) than that's OK. But the goal should not simply be the new tool.

Makes one curious if you suffered a similar crisis that brought you to LF.

Can any lessons from that time help you through this crisis now?

Don’t be afraid, be strong – and keep us updated on your progress!

Preston Birdwell

I've carried a digital SLR on several trips, but I seem let it languish in my truck in favor of my Chamonix. At those times when I do feel uninspired, or in a rut, I look for other creative avenues--my guitar being the primary one. If I did reach a point where thoughts of selling off my LF gear was rumbling around in my head, I would recall the fact the SLR sat in the truck. I also think about the cost and time and effort it would take to replace my LF gear--not an appealing prospect.

So, as others have said, keep your LF stuff at least until you're positive you want to sell it beyond a shadow of any doubt.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Take a break. Go fishing. Or pack everything away but one format, one camera and one lens and give yourself a "self-assignment"---such as revisiting the neighborhood you grew up in and documenting what's survived, or rent a pony and take pony pictures of little kids. Or star trails. Get out and do something completely outside of your normal schtick. Make your muses jealous!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Make your muses jealous!
    Ha ha! And why not? It works with women, should work with photography too!

I imagine the only path I can take at this point is to put all the cameras down for awhile and take a break. I think I was considering that when it occurred to me that maybe immersing myself in digital techniques, learning Lightroom, maybe inkjet printing or some other digital specific stuff as a "break" might give me the disconnect time I need to rekindle my interest in photography. But then I suppose digital photography is still photography, in a way, and that just going from one kind of camera to another is probably not the most effective way to "take a break" to relight the creative fires! That, and the thought that I might discover I really like some of the advantages of working with images on the computer and out of the darkroom and....I guess that's what I might be afraid of...

Maybe I'll take up the harmonica for a while. Or basket weaving. Or glass blowing, or knifemaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    I'm afraid I only feel this way because I'm not currently "striving" for any new gear right now and my photography seems lifeless, pointless and hopeless.
    If you are doing photography only to stoke some gear - time to quit and sell so you can enjoy reacquiring it all back.
    If not - then you thought process is wrong because gear and photography actually have only so much in common. Its good to have great paintbrush but having same paintbrush set as Rembrandt wont make you one. Digital or not - its all the same, there is actually very little difference, and certainly no juxtaposition between tech.

And there is no remedy or universal remedy for creative block. You got to work it out on your own. If you want to, of course. Books do help.