Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mod54 and issues processing

Mod54 and issues processing

so i bought a Mod54 tank for processing film as i did not have access to a dark room, ive had nowt but issues due to uneven development and damaged negs so what are my alternatives for processing my negs and direct positives without darkroom access.
    Ive looked at the combi plan system but given its out of production now not sure if i can find a new one so what else is available to me
    Dave

Re: Mod54 and issues processing

Yea lots of people have issues with the mod54, there have been several posts about it.

The only 4x5 developing systems that are still in production are the mod54 and btzs tubes which are really just PVC pipes. However you can still find LOTS of used processing equipment.

Im not going to go into all the ways you can develop there are lots of threads already out there about that like this one
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...highlight=tank
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

neither of the two approaches I use are still sold new to the best of my knowledge but both can be had on Ebay
    I have used the Jobo 2521 tank with a 2509 reel using rotation either by hand or on a uni roller
    the tank can be a challenge to load in a film changing bag. It takes practice

the other easier to use and load system is the Patterson Orbital
    but that also has some tricks for getting event development (I cut off the fins)
    and other tricks such as make sure the sheets don't come out of position (taller posts separating the sections)

good luck
    you can find my images on flickr at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feberdt/sets/

Lachlan 717

Jobo is still available new.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    Jobo is still available new.
    +1

Ive got some tray's so may get used to processing in the darkroom in that, given the community darkroom is only £30 a year and all the other alternatives are a bit above my budget at the moment.
    second the issues with the mod54 think its a good idea but for the life of me i cant get good negs out of it, ive done countless rolls of 35mm and 120 with hardly no issues and just find the lack of constancy with the mod54 frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by dave clayton View Post
    so i bought a Mod54 tank for processing film as i did not have access to a dark room, ive had nowt but issues due to uneven development and damaged negs so what are my alternatives for processing my negs and direct positives without darkroom access.
    Ive looked at the combi plan system but given its out of production now not sure if i can find a new one so what else is available to me
    Dave
    Dave,

Can you take us through your process, chemicals and share sample images? I use the MOD54 quite successfully and may be able to help.

Tim
    www.ScottPhoto.co

Quote Originally Posted by ScottPhotoCo View Post
    Dave,

Can you take us through your process, chemicals and share sample images? I use the MOD54 quite successfully and may be able to help.

Tim
    www.ScottPhoto.co
    Tim,

Let's not wait for Dave to reply as he may not. How about posting some MOD54 tips for us?

I don't have one yet but am seriously considering a purchase.

Thanks,
    Terry

Last time i used my mod54 i still got minor streaks.. I've done different developing approach but still getting those streaks. It might be that the film i used was xray fogged.
    I'll try developing different batch of films next time but i won't expect that much..

I used aggresive inversion on this one. Inversion then turn the tank left/right then invert again..

I too had issues with Mod54 (roughly as the one shown by tenderobject, there were 2 lighter areas where the film was held). My standard processing was 1l of replenished XTOL for 10:30 at 20 degrees. Agitate first 30 seconds,
    then at 1 minute, then every minute except for the 8th and 10th. Agitation is two inversions with half-rotation.

Now I changed to Jobo 2520 with Jobo 2509n and the issues are gone.