Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kodak to exit bankruptcy

Re: Kodak to exit bankruptcy

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    The film quality control seems better
    than ever, and the remaining selection is certainly versatile, though I guess we've all lost a favorite product or two along the way. We adapt, as always.
    If the current selection of Kodak film were the only stock I had to choose from and ever will, I would not have a complaint in the world, it's flawless.

If the current selection of Kodak film were the only stock I had to choose from and ever will, I would not have a complaint in the world, it's flawless.
    I totally agree with you. I have never once had any issues with their films or papers... only had issues when they discontinued certain products, like 4x5 IR! I hope TMY will be around in all formats, including 8x10. Best film ever.

I'd still like to get Kodachrome in 120 and/or 220 back... but that's a different animal entirely...

I'm still treasuring my remaining stock of 8x10 E100G... Golly that stuff is good!

Cogito, ergo sum

I have bought a box 10 sheets of 810 E100G. Do you have any advice on shooting this film?

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Stone View Post
    I'd still like to get Kodachrome in 120 and/or 220 back... but that's a different animal entirely...

I'm still treasuring my remaining stock of 8x10 E100G... Golly that stuff is good!
    Life = Love + Passion + Responsibility

Correct me if I am reading this wrong, but Kodak C41, RA4, and Portra film are still a part of the landscape? This is my dream come true. Even though I have bought a life time supply of Portra 160 VC, I still need to develop the film and make prints. I have been investing in this photographic solution for a long time always nervous that the paper and chemistry will go away.

I will now continue to replenish my lifetime supply of film as I draw from it even thought I do not need to do so, so that I can do my part in supporting the industry. Great news!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jumanji View Post
    I have bought a box 10 sheets of 810 E100G. Do you have any advice on shooting this film?
    I generally shoot it at box speed, but depending on how I want to render things, the lighting, etc dictates how I might filter(or not) the lens for particular shot.

-Dan

Drew Wiley

Hi Stephen - the nearest thing to Portra 160VC appears to be the new Portra 400. I don't have any experience with it, since I am printing both 160VC and Ektar 100
    at the moment. Ektar is nice when you want a little saturation boost, more like the look of a chrome. The 8x10 sheets are better priced than Portra, but you need to
    be a little more religious about using warming filters - an 81A for overcast skies, an 81C for deep blue shade under open blues skies (esp in the mtns), and a mild pink
    skylight for general distant UV. I've beeen running both Arista RA chem in the CPI and the Kodak RA/RT, and the results are identical. So yeah, everything looks
    fine at this point.

Hey Drew, It makes no difference to me just as long as there is Kodak color negative film to buy, and that my CPI continues to work. A year or so ago I was able to buy another complete CPI system that included a light proof 30x40 drum. My older 30x40 drum was not light proof so I had to run it in the dark.

I did run some test on the Ektar 100, Portra 160 VC, and Portra 160 NC a while back and found that the VC had the greatest dynamic range of 13 stops, Portra 160 NC came in around 11 stops, and Ektar had the least at around 9 stops. The Portra NC was by far the leaset saturated, however, VC and Ektar were very close with the latter having slightly better reds and yellows.

If my memory serves well, I think Ektar had the finest grain of all the films.

Thanks for the tips on the filters, and I am real interested in the Arista RA chemistry. Perhaps you can tell me more about this chemistry and where you can get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Willard View Post

Thanks for the tips on the filters, and I am real interested in the Arista RA chemistry. Perhaps you can tell me more about this chemistry and where you can get it.
    Stephen,

"Arista" is a house-name for some of Freestyle's in-house products.

here's the search link directly:
    http://www.freestylephoto.biz/search?q=ra-4

cheers,
    Dan

Thanks Daniel, I just visited FreesStyle Photo, and I am really encouraged. All these years of living in the shadow of the dark digital cloud. I beginning to see sunlight at the end of a very long dark tunnel.