Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Split darkslide - how to make one?

Re: Split darkslide - how to make one?

If you are worried about using a jigsaw or band saw, you could just keep scribing the chosen line with a straight edge and a utility knife until it eventually cuts through.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

I've done this with a metal ruler as a straight edge and a fresh X-acto blade. It does take a few passes with the knife, but the cuts were accurate and clean.

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bannow View Post
    Vaughn, what did you use to cut the darkslide?
    With the soft ones I use a utility knife and a straight edge -- multiple passes. Sand paper to finish it off and to round corners. I prefer metal slides -- made using a jeweler's saw (coping saw with a fine blade), and a file to finish it. I have never seen a metal darkslide for 4x5, though. The metal ones last longer in the field and can be hammered flat if damaged.

Once cut, I blacked half of the white strip on the handle -- the blacked out portion signifying the part that was cut off.

I've done it as well using a knife and patience, but as an alternative let me suggest a method cheaper and easier and more versatile than cutting a darkslide. Take the back off your camera and cut a piece of black foamcore of the right width to fit inside up close to the ground glass. This will block the light from half the film sheet, and because it blocks the ground glass it makes composition easy. When ready for the next shot just pop off the back and shift he foamcore to the other side. Using this method you can do the landscape 2 x 5 of a split darkslide, but can also make a 2 x 2.5 insert (I carry one in my bag in case I'm ever in a situation where I am running out of film and want to shoot two images on each sheet to extend my supply). You can also make an insert with a quarter removed that allows you to get four different images on each sheet (this can be useful for speed testing as you can get four different exposures on one sheet).

Cheers, Tim

I've done it for 8x10" with an X-Acto knife and a straightedge, sanding the edge smooth afterward as described above.

I agree with Tim's suggestion. I made a couple of cut slides for my Deardorff before realizing the back had slots where cardboard could be inserted to accomplish the same effect with way less trouble. One downside of the cut slide method is that the holders of different brands will have slightly different measurements and you're cut slide may not work with all of your holders.
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com