Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Book on Edward Weston

New Book on Edward Weston

wouldn't it be nice if people would invest their time and money to publish unknown artists, rather than famous ones (dead) over and over and over......

Actually, Lodima Press is printing a series of newer artists in small, low-priced books to get their work and name out to the public.

In other words: wouldn't it be nice if people would know what they were talking about before they clicked "submit."

Or, in still other words: wouldn't it be nice if we all waited 30 minutes before replying to a post, any post, to either complain or to complain about someone complaining, or possibly to complain about the people who are complaining about people who complain. Everyone take a deep breath and step away from the keyboard with your hands in plain sight.

I'd like to hear more about the production of the book. How was the text printed? Lithographically? Letterpress? How about the photos? Liths? Inkjet? What?

And Domenico is correct...but you won't have to hold your breath for much longer to hold a book just like that in your hands. Great things are coming. Look for a full-page ad in B&W Magazine in the September/October issue for just such an offering: a semi-annually published book featuring the works of contemporary arists working in alternative processes with essays by today's foremost authorities in the photographic arts.

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=005XXG&unified_p=1
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

PS - Chad - I don't think Weston did that many inkjet prints?
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

"And Domenico is correct...but you won't have to hold your breath for much longer to hold a book just like that in your hands. Great things are coming. Look for a full-page ad in B&W Magazine in the September/October issue for just such an offering: a semi-annually published book featuring the works of contemporary arists working in alternative processes with essays by today's foremost authorities in the photographic arts."

Are the photographs going to be any good/interesting or is it going to be foucssed more on processes? e.g. The only two decent pieces in B&W over the last two years have been the one on Jock Sturges and the one on Michael Smith I think.

I notice Michael Smith's small books nearly all monographs about photographers where the content of their work is foremost rather than the process, whoich is really secondary- just the means to an end - Adams (R), Baril, Nixon, Gowin, Fink, Golke etc.

My thoughts on "Edward Weston: Life Work" is that the reproductions are, indeed, the best I've ever seen, but the accompanying text is pretty pedestrian. (Even that by Dody Thompson, Edwards last assistant and Brett's wife #?, adds nothing new to the Weston legend.)
    It's amazing to realize that the entire book is based on one young couple's collection, which wasn't even begun until the '80s. As you would expect from such a large private collection, it is a mile wide and only inches deep, but the stuff they've got is really first class Weston. The reproduction of Pepper #30 is every bit as luminous as my silver print. There are several images which I'd never seen before, including many from his very early work.
    Michael and Paula have certainly done themselves proud with this one!
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Tim...I meant the reproductions, not the originals.