i've seen it happen. Photo Lucida portfolio review I watched a couple photographers with portfolios get gallery representation (established Galleries.. not the show-a-print-in-a -frame-shop gallery.). They've since become very successful. The single gallery I have representation in was obtained through an email with jpgs... followed by a request for prints. ... And though I have representation in one of the top Photography galleries in the US (ok.. that was as lucky as a lottery win)... and know a lot of those represented in the other's, I haven't been able to get a second look from any other gallery. As far as sorting out.. the curator asks the questions about the work when the images catch their eye.

As far as 'cell phone quality goes' , I've seen some excellent prints done with cell phone images (nothing larger than 6" though)... and in established galleries as well.

I'd recommend the Portfolio Reviews as one of the best ways of getting work noticed. (there are probably 3 or 4 reviews to take seriously.)