Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xenar Tessar 21cm 210mm f3.5 lenses

Xenar Tessar 21cm 210mm f3.5 lenses

Hello
    I am looking for ether 21cm Xenar f3.5 or 21cm Tessar f3.5 in barrels. I have seen some of it was mounted on Graflex D SLRs and I have seen a couple of portraits wich I liked that was done with 21cm Xenar f3.5,
    If anyone have any for sale or know someone who wonts to sell one , please let me know.
    Also there is very little information on this lenses. if some one had expirience with this lenses , that would be greate to find out how good they are wide open and the contrast.
    Thanks
    Alex

Re: Xenar Tessar 21cm 210mm f3.5 lenses

T coated Jena Tessar 210/3.5 was one of my first LF lenses, right after the 127/4.7 uncoated ektar. All i can say, that it's a excellent lens! Definitely should shoot more with it, nowadays i have faster lenses.. so it kinda drops in the middle. But one thing it has, it's fairly compact and light compared to the speed monsters.. like aero ektar, and the 210mm focal length is better all arounder for portraits, as you can get pretty close with it. I would definately recommend this lens.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeymon View Post
    T coated Jena Tessar 210/3.5 was one of my first LF lenses, right after the 127/4.7 uncoated ektar. All i can say, that it's a excellent lens! Definitely should shoot more with it, nowadays i have faster lenses.. so it kinda drops in the middle. But one thing it has, it's fairly compact and light compared to the speed monsters.. like aero ektar, and the 210mm focal length is better all arounder for portraits, as you can get pretty close with it. I would definately recommend this lens.
    Thanks for your answer, but it seems like no one to sell one,
    Regards
    Alex

It's unlikely you'll get a response, the site requires you to be a member for a month then you can post a Wanted (or Sales) advert in the rlevant Sales/Wanted section.

Be patient I've found that people are very helpful when you post wanted adverts correctly.

Ian

There is a pretty wide variation in performance. The uncoated f3.5 Xenars and Tessars can have serious issues with flare, to the point where they look quite soft. The post-war single coated Xenars and Tessars are much better, but still very susceptible to flare. Once you deal with the flare (a lens hood is a necessity), some are surprisingly sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by holms1975 View Post
    Thanks for your answer, but it seems like no one to sell one,
    Regards
    Alex
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARL-ZEISS-J...-/111024645662

There is this one, ridiculously priced.. but maybe you can offer him some sense?

There used to be plenty of these, mine cost something like 50e (60-70$).. well, that was at least 5 years ago...

Just realized it's the 250mm version... so no go...

You've got to be either patient or willing to spend. It's not like new gear where people have it stock ready to go for the sole purpose of selling it.

Not f3.5 but there is a 210mm f6.3 Congo lens which is coated and a Tessar design they can be found at a reasonable price.

Ian

210mm f/4.5 Tessars are available and affordable, in shutter and in barrel.

I'd be surprised if one could tell the difference wide-open, and the 4.5 lens might be a better performer all around.

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    Not f3.5 but there is a 210mm f6.3 Congo lens which is coated and a Tessar design they can be found at a reasonable price.

Ian
    Thanks for answers
    I will keep searching ebay adds