Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Century 11x14

Re: Century 11x14

I'll try to get a couple of pictures by tomorrow. Have to find my digital camera.

The width of each holder is 12 7/8" wide and 16" long (or deep) from the bottom of the holder to the locating notch at the top. Of course the holder extends above that but those are the two major dimensions on mine. The thickness is just shy of an inch on two of them and third is about 1 1/4 inches. On the third and thicker film holder the backing piece is the same distance from the surface of the holder itself if you understand what I mean. I don't remember what the depth to where the film rests is right now. I would measure but all my film holders are presently loaded with film. The only 11x14 film boxes I have right now haven't been opened yet so I have no place to store the film when I pull it out for measuring. I may have an open box of printing paper I can store the film in but I haven't found one yet.

This should give you a start though.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

My Rochester 11X14 has the same issue and will not seat an ANSI 11X14 back correctly. It's not just the width and length of the holder but also the "T" depth that is off and needs to be corrected. Please keep us posted on your modifications and please send us photos. I am also in need of a Korona 11X14 front rail.

Quote Originally Posted by OKAROB View Post
    My Rochester 11X14 has the same issue and will not seat an ANSI 11X14 back correctly. It's not just the width and length of the holder but also the "T" depth that is off and needs to be corrected. Please keep us posted on your modifications and please send us photos. I am also in need of a Korona 11X14 front rail.
    I will share the modification pictures when as soon as I'll start working on it.

It appears that my film holders fit the ANSI standard for 11x14 film holders almost exactly. I took the specs from this Photrio post. https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread...cations.73096/

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by AuditorOne View Post
    It appears that my film holders fit the ANSI standard for 11x14 film holders almost exactly. I took the specs from this Photrio post. https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread...cations.73096/
    Is ANSI the only standard to which film holders are made, aside from custom film holders? Maybe ISO. I will check my holders tonight.

I just got a 600mm Apo-Ronar barrel/process lens for my 11x14. Any ideas if there are leaf-type shutters available for this size? Its about a 3.7" diameter lens barrel. I can machine a threaded adapter if needed.

If I made a reducing adapted to fit on something like a Copal 3 shutter, I think this arrangement would restrict the image circle too much, there must be some other option.

Are there shutter options aside from manually blocking the lens with a lens cap?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20231222_192447.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	244924

Quote Originally Posted by kfed1984 View Post
    I just got a 600mm Apo-Ronar barrel/process lens for my 11x14. Any ideas if there are leaf-type shutters available for this size? Its about a 3.7" diameter lens barrel. I can machine a threaded adapter if needed.

If I made a reducing adapted to fit on something like a Copal 3 shutter, I think this arrangement would restrict the image circle too much, there must be some other option.

Are there shutter options aside from manually blocking the lens with a lens cap?

A Nikkor M 450mm f9 in a Copal 3 shutter is an option. I think the Goerz 19" Apo Artar is also in a Copal 3 shutter. These are big shutters but I believe they do cover 11x14.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by AuditorOne View Post
    A Nikkor M 450mm f9 in a Copal 3 shutter is an option. I think the Goerz 19" Apo Artar is also in a Copal 3 shutter. These are big shutters but I believe they do cover 11x14.
    I have a copal 3 at home, will make some experiments. otherwise it will be a Packard shutter, but these cannot be times for short exposure I think. For the Copal I'm thinking there may be mechanical vignetting as the shutter will have to be placed be way behind the lens. Unless I remove the lens elements and make adapters for front and back mounting to the copal 3 shutter. The 600mm lens barrel definitely will not fit inside the copal3 shutter boby.

multiplex

Hi Kfed1984,

I can't help you with your shutter question but wanted to mention that's a nice lens !
    I hope you get it mounted so you can use it the way you want ..

a couple of things some people do if they get in a pickle is search for a Thornton Picard roller blind shutter. I am not sure if they make them big enough for your lens but it's worth a shot. The other thing is people use neutral density filters to block the light so they can use whatever the "I" setting might be set at on their single speed shutter ( Packard or one of Reinhold's Guillotine Shutters, or a dark slide shutter )

I just look at the unfitting film holders as being part of the "charm" of an old camera that nothing fits quite right on

Have fun shooting 11x14!
    John

Quote Originally Posted by kfed1984 View Post

This is a whole topic onto itself.

Might want to search out:

1. Sinar Copal shutter

2. Packard shutter

3. Jim Galli shutter - Two dark slides in “V” formation

I have used a dark slide in front of the lens with success, myself.

And no doubt a number of options I missed…

Good luck in your efforts,

Len