Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Spot meter recommendations

Re: Spot meter recommendations

Buy an old Pentax V or even one of the earlier versions. They are robust and work beautifully and need not cost a fortune. Put a search on eBay and wait a little while. You'll find one.

Try this search " Pentax Spotmeter -digital -Minolta " and then save it to get email notifications when they come available.

RR

Post Script: Just tried that search! There's one with a missing battery door for $79.99. It shouldn't be impossible to make a replacement. Two of mine were bought as broken and all they needed was the battery connections cleaning and new batteries!

Quote Originally Posted by alavergh View Post
    Who actually uses these light meters to justify the price of these new meters?
    A friend explained to me the other day... it's a sunk cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Gomena View Post
    My Pentax V is a Zone VI modified model that has served me well for 25 years. It's about to go in to Richard Ritter for some TLC and a tuneup. Trusty, accurate and rugged. It uses the silver oxide button batteries, which are readily available. There also are alkaline equivalents.
    Richard tuned mine up, great meter.....like it better than my digital backup.

Does anyone have experience with the Soligor (Adorama) digital spot meter? Dial arrangement looks like pentax. Soligor is cheaper on FleaBay.

I had one and liked it fine. It is very similar to the pentax, but plastic and lighter.

New Orleans, LA

Yes, and I sent it to Ritter for a CLA and calibration. Nice inexpensive meter.

Quote Originally Posted by NancyP View Post
    Does anyone have experience with the Soligor (Adorama) digital spot meter? Dial arrangement looks like pentax. Soligor is cheaper on FleaBay.

Thanks. I may opt for the Soligor, then. It takes a 9 V battery, not the harder to find battery used by Pentax digital.

Drew Wiley

Main difference is that the Pentax digital spotmeter has MC optics, so more resistant to flare than the Soligor. Nonetheless I keep a rubber hood on mine. The
    Pentax uses a PX28 battery, easy to find at most drugstores. No big deal, and lighter wt than a normal 9V.

Drew Wiley

... Oh why? Well, at something like fifteen bucks a pop for a sheet of 8x10 color film, how many shots can you risk to flare? And that's about all it takes to ruin a
    reading if you're pointed into the sun. I have three Pentax spotmeters, and would really like another one. They're worth it. The Minolta Spotmeter F is another excellent tool, but a bit slower to read.

Have had the solignor for over 25 years, probably 10 years ago sent it to Richard for the Zone VI modification and calibration. Still works perfectly, love the meter except in low light where the analogue display can be hard to see. Thought about upgrading but it does what I need it to do. Also have a Seconic incident meter that I'll normally use with the dslr when in the studio.