Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding personal views on the back of a photo...acceptable or not?

Born L.A.-NYC is 2nd Home-Rustbelt is Home Base

Adding personal views on the back of a photo...acceptable or not?

I am sending this (non LF) photograph out to the special collections archives of a large state library.

http://www.artslant.com/ny/works/sho...-lost-princess

They did not buy it, I am donating the print to them as well as a number of other prints. I always print on the back of my photographs the information that pertains to it. Name of photograph, date taken, copyright info etc.

But, this is what I feel like adding on as a side note...

Note: In 2013 shooting children 'street style' has become a major problem for many a male photographer. Two weeks prior to shooting 'The Lost Princess' I was at a Catholic block party fund raiser. I was shooting for 15 minutes in the afternoon, testing a Widelux camera. I was approached and questioned as to what I was doing taking photos of people at the fair. I returned later that night to photograph again. Within 5 minutes of shooting I was approached and told if I don't leave they would call the police. Seems that every male that points a camera at a kid nowadays is a pedophile.

I was wondering if it would be of any archival use to document the societal problems some photographers may experience?

Or is it unprofessional and should I just list the basic photo details?

Thanks

Re: Adding personal views on the back of a photo...acceptable or not?

Why not write it on the front of the print?--with a metallic gold sharpie. Seriously, it seems weird to include your rant on a donated photo.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryS View Post
    Why not write it on the front of the print?--with a metallic gold sharpie. Seriously, it seems weird to include your rant on a donated photo.
    That is why I wanted some opinions. In the past I have used notes, but they are very basic and give details about the subject, local shooting conditions, etc. And then only if they are really needed to explain aspects of the photo.

It is not weird to me, but I like to hear others take on it. To me it would be weird if I put it on a purchased print that was not donated. I would let the buyer know this is what I usually put on this print. Do you want it on the back or not?

Unless the text is an integral part of of the art, there's no reason to include it regardless of donation or sale. I know a lot of artists and they all have their issues--but have never seen a painting with a message about the rising cost of paint included on the back. Your text is backstory and the details are best saved for your memoirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Iluvmyviewcam View Post
    I was wondering if it would be of any archival use to document the societal problems some photographers may experience?
    Will the back of your print be on display?

Quote Originally Posted by Moopheus View Post
    Will the back of your print be on display?
    like that double-sided inkjet paper? ooh yeah

I always embed my essays on racial purity and proof that we are descendants of aliens into my photos' metadata. Is there something wrong with that?

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iluvmyviewcam View Post
    ... I was approached and questioned as to what I was doing taking photos of people at the fair. I returned later that night to photograph again. Within 5 minutes of shooting I was approached and told if I don't leave they would call the police. ...
    "Wow, I am so glad that I am getting your harassment on video. I'll be sure to upload it to YouTube."

Quote Originally Posted by Otto Seaman View Post
    I always embed my essays on racial purity and proof that we are descendants of aliens into my photos' metadata. Is there something wrong with that?
    Is metadata that little strip along the edge of the sheet? And doesn't racial purity have something to do with NASCAR?
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    like that double-sided inkjet paper? ooh yeah
    I don't think so? Do they display both sides very often?

Even so, they can put a liner on it.

Iluvmyviewcam

Respectfully:

A displayed image should be able to stand alone telling its own story to each viewer. Each viewer may bring away something different. This is true in painting , sculpture and any other medium.

If an image xcan only be effective with text, it becomes journalism in my opinion.

Yet, your thoughts on photographing in public deservs discussion in the public square, There are forums where you may bring this topic.: Online (here ) blogs and so on, print editorials and other news outlets and the legal system if your rights have been violated is some way.

The back of a donated print is probably not the right place to air your views.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!