Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quad Tone RIP setup question

Re: Quad Tone RIP setup question

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    You can also print with the QTR driver with MAC OS systems using the QTR Print Tool. http://www.quadtonerip.com/html/QTRprinttool.html

If you are using any version of Photoshop later than CS3 with any version of MAC OS later than OS 10.4 the print tool can save you a lot of problems because it allows printing with No Color Management, something you can not do with more recent versions of PS and MAC operating systems.

Sandy
    Sandy, do you know of any examples of what differences might be produces using the standalone Quad print program vs printing from within Photoshop--I'm using Piezography inks. I read all the warnings, did a few comparisons, and could find no difference at all. Also couldn't find actual examples of the problem on the web or descriptions of practical effect of the problem. Ever run into it?

--Darin

Re: Quad Tone RIP setup question

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    Sandy, do you know of any examples of what differences might be produces using the standalone Quad print program vs printing from within Photoshop--I'm using Piezography inks. I read all the warnings, did a few comparisons, and could find no difference at all. Also couldn't find actual examples of the problem on the web or descriptions of practical effect of the problem. Ever run into it?

--Darin
    Darin,

Have a look at Jon Cone's article on the subject. http://www.piezography.com/PiezoPres...es-and-apples/

There are workarounds to print monochrome prints and digital negatives with QTR and more recent PS and MAC OS systems, as Jon outlines. However, the method varies by version of PS and MAC operating systems, and may give slightly different results than printing with true No Color Management. I don't have any examples of the problem to share but I have tested it several times and I can tell you for sure that it is a real problem. In some cases perhaps not one you would notice, in others there could be a catastrophic difference in results. Problem is with MAC and Adobe you are dealing with something of a moving target. In my workshops I use QTR to make digital negatives for carbon transfer printing and just can not take a chance with the workarounds. The QTR print tool is a neat piece of software, quite inexpensive, and completely solves the problem.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon