Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fujinon C 450/12.5

Re: Fujinon C 450/12.5

Quote Originally Posted by LuisR View Post
    Seems that the Fujinons have developed that dreaded photographic disease: "too valuable to use syndrome". Just like my Summicron 35/2 that I purchased new 30 years ago for 370 (tax included) and is now worth 2500 and thus I rarely use.
    I can't imagine owning a lens and not using it, unless you're a collector and not a photographer. You only paid $370 for it, why not use it? It was made to make images, not sit on a shelf.
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Cole View Post
    I can't imagine owning a lens and not using it, unless you're a collector and not a photographer. You only paid $370 for it, why not use it? It was made to make images, not sit on a shelf.
    Because if it were damaged in some manner during use, I could not afford to replace it.

I purchsed one on ebay last year in Nov 2012 for $799, it was in like new condition it is an awesome lens, I use it on my Chamonix all the time.

Do or do not. There is no try.

Because if it were damaged in some manner during use, I could not afford to replace it.
    It doesn't do you any good if you're afraid to use it. Why not sell it, buy yourself an f/2 or f/2.8 35mm Zeiss-Ikon, or Voigtlander, or even a Konica M-Hexanon if you can find one, and pocket the extra cash? Then you wouldn't have to worry, and would have enough money to replace the replacement should it be damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Goldstein View Post
    It doesn't do you any good if you're afraid to use it. Why not sell it, buy yourself an f/2 or f/2.8 35mm Zeiss-Ikon, or Voigtlander, or even a Konica M-Hexanon if you can find one, and pocket the extra cash? Then you wouldn't have to worry, and would have enough money to replace the replacement should it be damaged.
    One of the important tenets of Leitz ownership is that you never sell what you buy, because if you do, you are guaranteed to regret it at a later date. I am sure there are gems of LF about which the same can be said.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Bradford View Post
    I purchsed one on ebay last year in Nov 2012 for $799, it was in like new condition it is an awesome lens, I use it on my Chamonix all the time.
    Your post brings hope to my quest. Will be on the lookout. Thanks.

Do or do not. There is no try.

One of the important tenets of Leitz ownership is that you never sell what you buy, because if you do, you are guaranteed to regret it at a later date. I am sure there are gems of LF about which the same can be said.
    Point taken.

.....the lens was not discontinued at that time. Scarcity & desirability increase the price
    In the 300mm options there are many 12" Dagor/ 12" Commercial Ektar/305 G Claron/Nikkor M/.....
    The 450C is in a very short list of small/sharp lenses in that focal length. Although I don't use mine very much;when I need it nothing else fills the bill.

Having had one, and watched the market for a long time ... around $1000 USD for a 'mint' lens... A few hundred less for one that's been used. As others have said, they are almost universally in excellent condition. It is hugely smaller and lighter than the Nikkor 450mm.

What collector fed you that line of BS?

I shot Leica professionally from 2006-2011 on a book project, I brassed the snot out of a brand new black paint MP3 kit with it's matching 50 Asph and then sold all of it at the end of the book project because I no longer needed that much overpriced gear laying around unused. I did keep one chrome M3 and a version-2 50 Summilux though. It has been banged, fell on concrete when the strap caught something and it still look and works great.

That tenent is from the collector mindset, not a real photographer...but then very few real photographers use Leica anymore.

If it were me, I would sell that Leica-liability and put the money towards a 450C and some film, things it would seem you are actually interested in using...