Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Request an Acros-like film from Ilford?

Request an Acros-like film from Ilford?

I recently emailed Ilford and asked if they had any plans to develop an Acros-like film, i.e. Delta 100 without the reciprocity issues. I got a very nice and very lengthy response that basically said they have never considered it, as no one ever pointed out a problem with Delta 100 (or their other films) or requested a film such as an Acros. Their R&D tends to driven by customer requests and since they had no requests, no R&D in that area.

Given that Fuji keeps shrinking their film menu, especially in 4x5, I would love to have a hopefully more reliable source of an Acros-like film. I love Delta 100 and use it a lot, but I frequently shoot in low light and the reciprocity characteristics are terrible. For my work, Acros is a great choice, but I worry about it going away with many of the other Fuji films that have been discontinued.

If anyone is interested in seeing Ilford develop such a film, feel free to contact them and say so. There is certainly no guarantee they would develop such a film, but it never hurts to ask en masse.

Re: Request an Acros-like film from Ilford?

Some of much prefer Delta 100 to Acros. Personally I'd like to see an upgrade to HP6

Ian

Drew Wiley

I much prefer ACROS itself. Better curve shape, recip, and special spectral sensitivity for my own kind of use. Why not just buy the real deal? What keeps a particular film alive is sales, that's all. Split the niche and there goes some of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I much prefer ACROS itself. Better curve shape, recip, and special spectral sensitivity for my own kind of use. Why not just buy the real deal? What keeps a particular film alive is sales, that's all. Split the niche and there goes some of that.
    I do buy Acros. But I also bought a lot of Velvia 50 and that was still discontinued. A huge company such as Fuji runs off different metrics than a smaller company. I would guess Ilford will be in the film business long after Fuji has gotten out.

____

>> Personally I'd like to see an upgrade to HP6.
    Good one Ian...

>> I much prefer ACROS itself. Better curve shape, recip, and special spectral sensitivity for my own kind of use.
    Agreed in full Drew!

I too like REALLY like Fuji Acros 100 in 4x5... For exactly the three (3) reasons that you have previously stated Drew -- But especially (in my case) for the Orthopanchromatic Color Sensitivity and outstanding Reciprocity Characteristics of the film. Big Smile.
    --
    Personally I would like to see an Ilford FP5 (from FP4 Plus)... That is more like the old KODAK PLUS-X Pan Professional (PXT) 4x5 Film. (*See what you have now started Ian???). Just joking of course!
    --
    So there you go... Maybe we should now just go 'All Out' and petition Ilford for the following new 4x5 Films:

1). Ilford Delta/Acros 100
    2). Ilford Delta 200
    3). Ilford FP5

and also an

4). Ilford HP6 (*For 'Ian').

I am sure that they will be *REAL* impressed!!! LOL.
    --
    Best,

-Tim.
    ________

Drew Wiley

You might be betting on the wrong horse! Ilford just discontinued the last decent cold-toned VC paper on the market (Kentmere Fineprint). I still have time to buy
    up some of the last run. But figuring that they did relatively little to promote its usage and treated it like an unwanted stepchild, there's no guarantee that they'll
    keep alive some new niche at the expense of their better-known existing films. Besides, both TMax sheet films (TMX and TMY) are still in the running, and apparently doing rather well in sales, even in 8x10, given the frequency of runs lately. What I REALLY miss are the ACROS Quickloads - so convenient for backpacking (I've got
    just one box left). But the orthopan look of ACROS is something unique, and not achievable with quite as much finesse using a YG filter on ordinary pan film. So if
    I were to get on any bandwagon still realistic, it would be to lobby for 8x10 ACROS to get distributed here again. (Don't worry, Ilford... I still buy lots of other things you mfg).

____

Hi Drew!

>> You might be betting on the wrong horse!
    I hear you Drew....

FYI, the 'Horse' that I would *Like* to see Drew is as follows (Smile):

That 'each and every' Manufacturer of LF Films that there *Ever was* in the 20th and 21st Century... Would continue to produce 'Each and Every Stock' of LF Film that they EVER produced and *** ALSO *** in Every Size imaginable (I.e. Whole Plate, Half Plate, 4x5, 5x7, 4x10, 8x10, 8x20, 11x14, 12x20, 14x17, 16x20, 20x24 Etc., etc.. etc.... 'Ad Infinitum'). You of course get the idea Drew! LOL.

Ain't going to happen Tim!
    ___

Phil, on another note... I (think) that Fuji Neopan ACROS 100 is still *perhaps* available at some places in Japan (*I don't shoot 8x10 at the present time)...
    The problem of course is actually trying to 'order it' and then having it shipped back to North America.

Like so many things in life, it is perhaps a question of... 'How Bad Do You *REALLY* 'Want It' and perhaps 'What Price' are you willing to spend?'.

If you are still interested in the 8x10 ACROS Phil... You may want to try contacting either Dirk Rosler (dirk@japanexposures.com) or Kurt Easterwood (kurt@japanexposures.com) directly. I hear that they are both great guys!

http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/p...products_id=30

Best,

-Tim.
    ________

Les

Would love to see 8x10 (for others) and 5x7 or 4x5 Acros type film for me. I'm with Harley on this. If they can make larger sheets....that's fine too, but I have no idea what sorts of sales they pull. Frankly, there are lots of folk that use the smaller sizes like 6x6 or 35mm, as well.

Les

Never mind all those other films; just give me Verichrome Pan back, but in 4x5 this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Never mind all those other films; just give me Verichrome Pan back, but in 4x5 this time.
    I agree. Both the original ortho and the later panchromatic emulsions were terrific, especially for skin tones.