Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: will I see 8x10 infrared film ever again

(Shrek)

Re: will I see 8x10 infrared film ever again

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bannow View Post
    The VR-100E is Konica Minolta made. Here's the datasheet - does it look similar to what you're using? http://image2output.com/media/pdf/hn_film.pdf

Thanks!
    No, that's not an infrared film (?). I saw a couple of curves like that, and I decided to stick with infrared because 1) I like the look of IR, and 2) I thought color rendition would be unpredictable with that film. The one I have has a simple curve that ramps up from 600 or so up to the 1000nm range, in a fairly linear fashion. So it has higher sensitivity the longer the wavelength, therefore using a 820nm filter does not require exposure compensation over using a simple red filter.

I've tried locating the graph I saw just now, I'm not having any luck with The Google. I might have saved it on my office computer, so I might yet be able to find it.

hacker extraordinaire

I hope this does not break any rules, but i have a sealed, cold-stored box of 4x5 IR820 for sale in the classifieds section. I never did get time for the project I bought it for and now I'm moving.

I had good luck with the 35mm using stacked RGB rosco/lee color gels as a very cheap IR filter. Maybe you would notice an image quality problem on 4x5, but 35mm was too grainy for what I wanted anyway.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

My supply of 8x10 IR is running low. I would definately be in if Rollie did a special run.

graphic arts IR film seems interesting. thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    No, that's not an infrared film (?). I saw a couple of curves like that, and I decided to stick with infrared because 1) I like the look of IR, and 2) I thought color rendition would be unpredictable with that film. The one I have has a simple curve that ramps up from 600 or so up to the 1000nm range, in a fairly linear fashion. So it has higher sensitivity the longer the wavelength, therefore using a 820nm filter does not require exposure compensation over using a simple red filter.

I've tried locating the graph I saw just now, I'm not having any luck with The Google. I might have saved it on my office computer, so I might yet be able to find it.
    Thanks for the tip Jody! I see the difference now, and have ordered some infrared imagesetter film to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by uphereinmytree View Post
    graphic arts IR film seems interesting. thanks for the info
    As cheap as it looks to be someone should start a small business cutting it down to standard sheet film sizes and reselling it.

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    As cheap as it looks to be someone should start a small business cutting it down to standard sheet film sizes and reselling it.
    I think as printers abandon the imagesetter technology, there will be a lot of deals like I got, basically shops cleaning out their fridges of leftover film. I got mine from an eBay seller who had something like 15 boxes of 12.2" x 100', and I bought 3 of them for $10/ea. But with printing supply shops that are still selling their film as 'fresh', for use in graphic arts, the prices aren't nearly as interesting, though still comparable to X-ray film.

And, from experience, I can tell you it's rather tedious to cut these down to size in the dark. I have a no-name guillotine-style paper cutter on a particle-board base, I've drilled holes for stoppers at 10", 8", 5" and 4". So I cut off a 10" length, cut that down to 8x10, then cut the remaining strip into 2 4x5s. It takes me about 20 minutes to do 8 8x10s and 16 4x5s (out of 80" off my 12.2"-wide roll), including the time to load all of these into my film holders. I suppose I could cut the time down a little if I were doing hundreds, but it's still a precision job that has to be done to low tolerances, in the dark (I don't have a blue safelight, I have to rig something with blue LEDs I guess, like I've done with red LEDs for X-ray). And there's always the potential for scratches (nowhere near as bad as X-ray), not to mention you have to keep it right-side-up or use some means of punching notches into the film.

Jody_S could post an image you made with imagesetter IR film? I would love to see what these types of are capable of. Thanks!

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Jody_S could post an image you made with imagesetter IR film? I would love to see what these types of are capable of. Thanks!
    My first decent image is at post #187 here.

Yeah, it's tedious and many of us lack both the time and the patience. Thus being willing to pay someone else.

Actually I doubt *I* would right now - I don't shoot sheet film other than 4x5, at least not yet, and I have two unopened frozen boxes of Efke 820, plus I can still buy Rollei new and fresh. But if I ever got into 8x10 (or any other size) that would be different.