Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New Carbon Prints

New Carbon Prints

I am involved this summer in making some fairly large carbon transfer prints, basically 17X23" and 20X27" in size. I have printed most of these images before but for this work, considering the printing size, I am re-scanning them with a drum scanner. The image I am posting today was captured on 5X7 TMY film in Oaxaca, Mexico in 2005. The subject, as you can see, is light and texture, and those two things draw me to many of my images.

If you don't know carbon transfer it is one of the oldest of all photographic processes, invented more or less the way we use it today in 1865. The prints can be any color you like, and the image can be placed on many types of paper. I use both fixed out rag photographic paper as well as 100% cotton rag papers that I size with hardened gelatin.

I expect this project to last several months and as it continues I will post new work. This one is called Rejas #1, is very warm brown, and is on double weight photo fiber based paper. The negatives were printed on Pictorico with an Epson 7800 using a QTR profile that I developed and calibrated to my tissue. One of the fascinating things to me about this print is how the black bars separate themselves from the black background. This particular look is unique to carbon printing and results from the real three-dimensional surface of carbon prints. People who have never seen a well-crafted carbon transfer print before are often startled by the 3-D look, which unfortunately you won't see on a monitor. You have to experience it in real life.

Please feel free to add your carbon prints to this thread.

Sandy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RejasForWeb.jpg  
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Re: New Carbon Prints

That's really nice, Sandy. I was at your web page a few minutes ago, and enjoyed very much the tree trunk wood grain image on your home page.

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

Wonderful. Big carbon prints would be magical to see.

Montreal , Canada. Los Angeles, California

Hi Sandy,
    Great to see you opened this threat. Hope to see more wonderful Carbon print from members here.Happy printing.

Good to see a fresh look. It might be helpful for an occasional post about where carbon Prints can be viewed directly. I imagine there are some in Chicago, but I have no idea where.

I have visited your sites and was on the yahoo one for a while until we had the spam attack. I will sign back up soon.

Thanks, I look forward to more on carbon transfer.
    Tin Can

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Randy, there are few competent carbon printers out there. Some people print to try it out and find that it is not for them. We have a few printers in California. Come to Ventura in August and I can show you many from in camera negatives.

Sandy, nice to see the prints on line and hope to see the real ones in the future. Carbon prints must be seen in person to enjoy the delicate beauty. Great to hear that you've got them big.

I'm lucky to keep myself in film, let alone travel to the Golden State. Do they still call it that?

I'm gonna post on FB and see if anybody knows anything in Chicago.

I guess I would be lucky if no one was doing Carbon Prints in the Midwest, but there must be someone.

Let's see what develops!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Randy, there are few competent carbon printers out there. Some people print to try it out and find that it is not for them. We have a few printers in California. Come to Ventura in August and I can show you many from in camera negatives.

Sandy, nice to see the prints on line and hope to see the real ones in the future. Carbon prints must be seen in person to enjoy the delicate beauty. Great to hear that you've got them big.
    Tin Can

I am looking forward to finding a show in Toronto for these prints Sandy, and seeing you of course.

Sandy your prints are exquisite and pristine. To the casual viewer the process appears deceptively simple, however, it requires years of practice to approach your level. And that is if there is persistence and talent. The difficulties are many, the rewards are great. You made an excellent start of a thread on a beautiful process.

Not very many dedicated carbon printers around especially up here. Since I started 4 years ago I've loved every minute of it. Wish I could see your big prints, Sandy.
    Now I'm off to Saskatchewan with my camera!