Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Comparison: 450mm f12.5 Fuji versus 450mm f9 Nikon M

Comparison: 450mm f12.5 Fuji versus 450mm f9 Nikon M

I just saw a 450mm f12.5 Fiji lens today. I was struck to see that it's mounted in a Copal 1 shutter. So, I'm wondering how the Fuji lens and the Nikon 450mm f9 M Nikkor lenses compare? I know that the Fuji has a modestly large image circle. But, the Nikon is faster.

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

Re: C omparison: 450mm f12.5 Fuji versus 450mm f9 Nikon M

I liked either when I had them. I did like the Fuji a bit better, probably mostly because of the smaller shutter and me traveling a fair bit with LF. These two lenses have been compared a lot; I don't really have anything else to add, other than I also used the Fuji as a small 765mm lens with a teleconverter with good results. I ended up selling both as I don't use long lenses much. [I still have a fairly cheap, but stellar 15" Wolly tele (favoured even over the great 14" Commercial-Ektar), which I use e.g. for 5x7" sessions when not abroad.]
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."

I can't comment specifically on the 450's, but I do own a Nikon 300 M and Fuji 600 T F12. With the Fuji shutter, I don't care for the fact that I need to open the copal's dark slide each time to cock it and then close it before taking the shot. It adds one more step and no other lens I own requires me to do that.

I've been really impessed with the Fuji, but have never compared it head to head with the Nikon. I once forgot to shut down the aperture on the Fuji and was amazed to find the overexposed negative sharp edge to edge at infinity when wide open.

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    I just saw a 450mm f12.5 Fiji lens today. I was struck to see that it's mounted in a Copal 1 shutter. So, I'm wondering how the Fuji lens and the Nikon 450mm f9 M Nikkor lenses compare? I know that the Fuji has a modestly large image circle. But, the Nikon is faster.
    Neil,

I have and use both lenses. However, the Nikkor is in my 8x10 pack and the Fuji is with my 4x5/5x7 pack. I find both of them to be sharp as a tack. I went with the Nikkor for the 8x10 because I wanted a brighter image on the ground glass. With the Fuji on the 4x5/5x7, the slower lens does not seem to equate to a darker image because the light seems to hit the ground glass straight on but it certainly is a little darker on the 8x10. I picked the Nikkor up at KEH as "bargain" and the price was right so I did not hesitate to get it. The Nikkor is certainly bigger. Both are great lenses.

Drew Wiley

My 450 Fuji is one of my most used lenses for 8x10. Never had a problem with the small max aperture with regard to either composition or focus. I use it quite a bit
    on my 4x5 Norma too, since that has plenty of rail and bellows extension. I'l like to own a 450M too, since it's the only one of the M series I don't have, but due to
    its bigger shutter and wt, would probably use it only on 8x10. I imagine the Fuji's are going to steepen in price, since they have just recently been discontinued from
    mfg and do comprise a unique niche in terms of compactness for this kind of focal length. The Nikkors seem a lot more common at the moment.

Dave Karp

I have had both. I used the Nikkor on 4x5 and got some nice images with it. It is small for a 450mm, but the Fuji is so much smaller and easier to handle. I sold the Nikkor and replaced it with the Fuji. I use it way more than I ever thought I would on 4x5, and also use it for 5x7 and Whole Plate. The Fuji is sharp. So was the Nikkor. I never had a problem focusing either lens on 4x5. I don't have a problem with the Fuji in the larger sizes. I highly recommend that little Fujinon. I really like it.

And by the way, Carsten's great tip on using a Fuji teleconverter screwed on to the front filter threads of the Fuji works great. I saw a post he made on this trick years ago and bought one of them from KEH. It was cheap, the optical performance is good, and I got some really nice WP negs made with the combo. Thanks Carsten!

Dave Karp

I made a mistake. It is an Olympus teleconverter.

Never had the Nikkor, but you cannot go wrong with the Fuji. Incredibly sharp, small shutter, and just a wonderful lens. One of my faves on every format.

Cheers, Steve

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    I have had both. I highly recommend that little Fujinon. I really like it.
    And by the way, Carsten's great tip on using a Fuji teleconverter screwed on to the front filter threads of the Fuji works great. I saw a post he made on this trick years ago and bought one of them from KEH. It was cheap, the optical performance is good, and I got some really nice WP negs made with the combo. Thanks Carsten!
    Thanks, David, I'm glad you got some good results as well.
    I now do miss the Fuji a bit actually; its more than just a smidgen smaller than my current glass, too. Nothing wrong with the Nikkor of course: Either works.
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."