Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What did you learn new lately? Anything photographic? We are all students!

Re: What did you learn new lately? Anything photographic? We are all students!

I looked at your flickr images, very nicely done!

Then I checked your DIY listing and will follow you there.

And finally I also liked the camera posted by keechoon.

All good ideas, and I plan to build a few cameras, AFTER my 14X17 ULF build gets done.

Quote Originally Posted by VPooler View Post
    Randy, I actually started a thread about my current build in the DIY section a few days ago
    And my previous build looks like this: https://www.flickr.com/photos/moribundworld/8962444804/
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Yes, same film plane. Full size 6x7cm digital back would be great.

Soon some genius will make a new sensor that scales to larger sizes.

I have 3 RB's. Because now they are darn near free, one was. I bought an RZ, I thought it was crap compared to an RB. ymmv

I have 3 LN Grafmatics and I simply grabbed the Mamiya DDS's as they were cheap also. Really well made, almost as nice as the 3 Busch 2x3 DDS's I have. I have been collecting 2x3 sheet film cameras, holders and film. I like the film size. I have 2 little waffle things to develop 12 sheets at a time in a 120 can.
    I have one of those waffle thingys, I really have had bad luck with it. Not sure why, but it sure didn't work well for me. I amy cut down some x-ray film and try it in my baby Speedie. I just picked up another one for 65 bucks on fleabay. The shutter and bellows are in great shape, so I may be trying it with some different lenses. Lomography people have come out with a "Petzval" lens built in that "superior Zenit factory". (Wonder how their QC is these days?) It seems to be overpriced, just hope Galli comes up with a few that I can afford.
    Michael Cienfuegos

I posted the mini Petzval in Safe Haven for small portraits. The Kickstarter is really moving fast. It will sell out in days. They met their goal within hours of opening today!

I don't fully load the waffle, clumsy fingers and I am getting great results with a 6 sheets in it and R09 1/100 10 minutes.

I think people have very different water and agitation methods, among the dozens of other variables.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Cienfuegos View Post
    I have one of those waffle thingys, I really have had bad luck with it. Not sure why, but it sure didn't work well for me. I amy cut down some x-ray film and try it in my baby Speedie. I just picked up another one for 65 bucks on fleabay. The shutter and bellows are in great shape, so I may be trying it with some different lenses. Lomography people have come out with a "Petzval" lens built in that "superior Zenit factory". (Wonder how their QC is these days?) It seems to be overpriced, just hope Galli comes up with a few that I can afford.
    Tin Can

I learned that I could use a red safe light when developing my graded FB B&W prints rather than my itty bitty oc GE Guide Lamps (which have been long out of production anyway)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

That's good to know as I will be using a lot of graded paper soon. I have totally converted to a dozen 1 watt red LED's all over my 750 sq ft. I just leave them on 24/7, not much power consumption. I live inside my darkroom/studio.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    I learned that I could use a red safe light when developing my graded FB B&W prints rather than my itty bitty oc GE Guide Lamps (which have been long out of production anyway)
    Tin Can

(Shrek)

I learned that if you have a large extended family, and you say 'yes' to even one request, you will spend the rest of your life taking wedding, christening, etc. photos. For free. And most of the time you won't even get a 'thank you' out of the deal.

Easy to say the camera is in the shop, just like owning a van and everybody thinks it's a car share. I always have a flat tire.

Unless of course you actually enjoy the attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    I learned that if you have a large extended family, and you say 'yes' to even one request, you will spend the rest of your life taking wedding, christening, etc. photos. For free. And most of the time you won't even get a 'thank you' out of the deal.
    Tin Can

That i am sucker for new techniques... Once again.

I am always learning Photoshop.
    My problem is common, I think: I now have a job which excludes me from spending hours on honing one or two techniques, or spending the day doing test shots or trying a new process.
    Inevitably, I have to spend lots of time on job #2, so by the time I have a spare hour or two, I forgot what I learned a few weeks earlier.

Well, I am going to start studying Electrical Engineering at the university this fall so an electronic, high-speed behind-the-lens shutter will be surely retrofitted to whatever 4x5 I finally manage to build. I am thinking about making a recessed lensboard with the shutter inside, making the electronic shutter an option. I can mount the actual lensboard on top of it. Yup, time to start crackin'.