Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: which lens should I go for please??

Re: which lens should I go for please??

Modern 90mm lenses do not have distortion. Distortion means that straight lines will be bowed in or bowed outward. This is not the case with a modern 90mm or even with lenses as short as 23mm.

Do you mena foreshortening? That means that things closer to the lens are reproduced larger then things further away from the lens. Shorter lenses make this more obviouse then longer lenses. This is a matter of physics, not distortion, and is on all lenses regardless of focal length. By looking at the foreshortening you can tell if a shorter or longer lens was used if there is/are objects in the foreground to compare in the shots.

I think what saying is weird curved corners one gets
    on extreme wides like a 18mm or 20mm on a 35mm camera
    So by the sounds of your general remarks by most
    Of You kind people is maybe a 90mm or 120mm
    I'll do some hunting on eBay and camera stores here in London
    Many thanks to everyone - what a great, vast palace of knowledge!
    John

I use a Caltar version of the Rodenstock Grandagon 90mm f/6.8. It's a good lens, but maybe not the finest out there. But with 90mm lenses weight comes into play for me. The Grandagon is good compromise over the faster lenses or the ones with more coverage vs the f/8 lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gebhardt View Post
    I use a Caltar version of the Rodenstock Grandagon 90mm f/6.8. It's a good lens, but maybe not the finest out there. But with 90mm lenses weight comes into play for me. The Grandagon is good compromise over the faster lenses or the ones with more coverage vs the f/8 lenses.
    I own the same lens. I really like mine.

135mm Nikkor or Schneider. There are even some 135mm convertible schneiders on ebay that are very affordable. 90mm pretty neat and affordable but hard to see through, though you will need one sooner or later.

Never pass up a deal on a good lens. You might even keep an eye out for a 300mm.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8400.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	99322 Wall at Shiprock, New Mexico.

If you can live with only mild movements, then the Zeiss Planar 135mm f/3.5 is excellent. Mounted in the proper lens board, the Super Technika will close with the lens in place.

For wide angle, see if you can try out a Zeiss 75mm Biogon. It is heavy, has limited movements, but I like its character.

Don't forget to get matching cams if you plan to use the rangefinder.

Croppitt, don`t confuse optical distortion and perspective distortion.
    As Bob says, even very short lenses doesn`t show or if so, show very little optical distortion (barrel, pincushion).
    To minimize the "ugliness" of perspective distortion you should level the camera... "curved corners" then get straight (which in the other hand, is a right tool for some effects, like dramatic perspectives). It depends on the subject and your idea.
    I have pics taken with the 75mm on 4x5, low angle dramatic landscapes which doesn`t look odd. People photography is another topic.

If you already have a 150, a 135 or a 120 could be too close to my taste. Personally, I`d opt for a 90, or even a 110 if it`s the case of the 110XL which is a great lens (probably, my most used one). I don`t have a 90 but a Grandagon-N 75 which I like... so if I were buying a 90 I`d probably get the same route.
    Don`t worry if it seems too wide for you... 90 is the moderate "classic" wide angle for 4x5". Maybe tomorrow you`ll find yourself looking for a 65. I have a 75, 110, 120... and my next will probably be a 55/58.

And I`d not mind if it is the "finest" or not... for "normal" sized prints the difference in 4x5" could be irrelevant. Just look for a good one. Personally, I`d opt for a faster version, easier for viewing and focus. But if you`re devoted to landscape photography, maybe the size of a slower version suit you better.

On that big auction site, item # 370856753213

I have a 100mm Wide Field Ektar that I have used successfully for many years. It is small, light, and inexpensive. Nothing could be sharper. Does not allow for a lot of movement but OK for front tilt for DOF increase. Makes for a good 100-150-210-270 set.

Rob Simmons

I have the Rodenstock Grandagon as well and it is really nice. I get great images, plus it is a pretty light and small lens. Got it from KEH and their version of EX is beyond me how they could call it EX. Other than not having it come out of the plastic wrapped in a seal Rodenstock box I swear it looked like a brand new flawless lens at an EX price.