Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: which lens should I go for please??

which lens should I go for please??

Hello everybody. This is my second post - thanks everyone so much for the how to use a 5x4 book recommendations -I feel much more confident using the camera now. So, my next question is my next new lens. I have a nice 150mm and 210mm both cammed for my linhof. But I am finding I often need to be slightly wider. I've saved up a bit of cash and want to buy the very best lens out there. (within reason). I really hate any distortion so i think a 90mm is wrong. So I'm thinking 135mm or 110mm, probably won't bother getting it cammed as I rarely use the rangefinder - What do you think? Any preference ( I know this is personal choice ) but are there any lens of those lengths that are really special in quality?
    Look forward to hearing any comments - as always many thanks in advance. Kind regards John http://www.largeformatphotography.in...s/confused.png

Re: which lens should I go for please??

Why not go slightly wider and get a 90mm, there's no distortion with LF lenses, you'd be hard pushed to tell which images Ive made with a 90mm compared to a 135mm or 150mm.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by croppitt View Post
    I'm thinking 135mm or 110mm, probably won't bother getting it cammed as I rarely use the rangefinder - What do you think? Any preference ( I know this is personal choice ) but are there any lens of those lengths that are really special in quality?
    I've got and love a 110mm SSXL. Sharpest lens I own, and I own a sharp set. It's bright, and it's sharp wide open so it's easy to focus. It's a pleasure to use, from capture to printing. It's also one of Kerry Thalmann's "future classics" so I'm not the only one thinking it's a special lens. Just sayin'.

Bruce Watson

I have a 135mm and I like the spacing when I'm using a 90 and a 210. It's too close to your 150; I would carry one or the other, but not both. A 110mm goes nicely with a 150mm and 210mm pair. So does a 90mm.

Both the 135mm Sironar S and the 110mm Super-Symmar XL are very well regarded.

135, 150, and 210 would be a little too close for my tastes. My only wide angle lens was the 80mm SS XL which is an excellent lens and I thought it was a good compromise between buying both a 75mm and a 90mm. I did at one time own the 90mm f5.6 Super Angulon and it too was a fine lens. If you go that route I'd get the f5.6 version rather than the f/8. There isn't that much difference between them in size or weight and the wider maximum aperture comes in handy when composing.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Thanks everybody - really helpful - so maybe
    I should consider a 90mm to work along side the
    150 and 210 - so which one? Needs to be the finest
    One out there: suggestions ?
    Thanks guys

Get a 90mm. They're cheap, and you can always crop.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

The 120 APO Symmar L is a cracking lens and I'd take it over a 110xl for 4x5. 90s are useful but too wide for "normal", I say "wide" whenever I see a shot made with them.

120 and 180 are a really nice normal combo.

What's the finest is difficult to say---even among the same model by the same company some examples will be" finer" than others.
    I'd opt for whichever of the major players has the larger image circle, or which is faster for use in low light. or size/weight that won't tax the lens board and front standards, depending on what's important to you (FWIW, my WA lens barely covers the format and is as and slow as a constipated snail!)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

The Nikkor SW 90mm f/4.5 lenses are said to be really nice. They are a bit pricey.