Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Need expert advice- best light weight folding field camera?

Re: Need expert advice- best light weight folding field camera?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Kellogg View Post
    If Issy wants candid shots, I think she should get a Leica or a Contax G2, a fast street machine, or use her digital. Crown and Speed Graphics are heavy cameras.

I think Issy is interested in taking portraits, where she has more control over the composition of the scene.

Perhaps this quote from Judith Joy Ross describes will help:

"With a view camera we are doing something together. Definitely together. I am fumbling around under a cloth over the camera and myself and the person is arranging themself. We work together."

From: http://www.ahornmagazine.com/issue_8...view_ross.html
    Or maybe she wants to do what Mary Ellen Mark did with her Master Technika?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_4514 View Post
    Based on what I've seen of your work and what you say you're looking for, getting anything other than a Crown or Speed Graphic would be nuts. If you want candid shots, you're going to need something you can hold in your hand. There's a reason press photographers used Speed Graphics and not fancy folding field cameras on tripods. They are also light and have enough movements to get you started.

The reason you don't get more recommendations for one of these is because there isn't much for a gear nut to say about them. They're simple, they work, they do the job, but no whistles, no bells, not pretty to look at (well, I like them) and they're not expensive. If you hang around here long enough, and I hope you do, you'll find that when somebody asks a general question about what kind of camera to use, most of the responses are people recommending what they use. For some reason, people take comfort when others do what they do. That's why humans are by and large conformists.

In terms of the candidates that you've selected, in my opinion there isn't that much difference between them. They all do the same thing, in more or less the same way. What you need to do is get a camera in your hands and start taking some pictures.
    This is the best response of the thread so far.

RR

Sounds like the OP needs a Razzle....

Jon

I think the choice is between tripod and hand held. Since we just took a large format class together, my assumption has been that Issy wanted a camera to use on a tripod.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by jonreid View Post
    Sounds like the OP needs a Razzle....

Jon
    Or else a Travelwide for $99! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...wide-45-camera

RR

Speed Graphic: Tripod and hand-held . . . .<$500
    Polaroid Conversion: Primarily hand-held. Leica-like RF/Viewfinder
    Wanderlust/Reavelwide: Hand-held only:<$150 [U][/$1000
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Imagowan

While the speed graphic is tempting (and I may one day consider getting one), Larry is right in that I would like to start composing my images and working with a tripod. Knowing how heavy tripods so often are is why I have been set on a light weight camera. Larry has mentioned that a used Gitzo might be a good option.

The Gitzo naming system is hard to decipher and they also change it too frequently, but in general you'd want a #2xxx-series tripod, either Carbon Fiber or Aluminum. The other factor is a tripod head. Gitzo makes a #2-series 3-way head and there are numerous larger bullheads available from a wide range of manufacturers.

If you are patient and shop eBay, a fine older metal Gitzo #2 series with a 3-way head can be found for under $300, sometimes far less if you're lucky.

Next a few people will bring up the Gitzo clones from China, some of which are excellent values. And I bet a lot of people will suggest lots of alternatives but, generally speaking, Gitzos have a good reputation overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Speed Graphic: Tripod and hand-held . . . .<$500
    Polaroid Conversion: Primarily hand-held. Leica-like RF/Viewfinder
    Wanderlust/Reavelwide: Hand-held only:<$150 [U][/$1000
    The Travelwide has a tripod bush and a focus screen, it need not be restricted to hand held only, in fact it seems to be light enough to allow it to be used on a Gorilla Tripod.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14e499f28ae6fd76bc209fe9a91cd4c5_large.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	99148

RR

Quote Originally Posted by Imagowan View Post
    Finding a used Chamonix 45n-2 has led to zero results. I will either have to buy it new or consider going with the other options (many of which I am sure will work for my needs just as well). I used a Toyo field camera last week (not sure what the model was). While I should acknowledge that it is a school camera given out to many students, I felt the camera was somewhat rinkydinky. It functioned okay, but my experience of it was that it felt like a plastic toy camera and and seemed poorly built. I will be using it again this week. Perhaps I shall grow to love it.
    Seriously, if you find a Toyo field camera to feel rinkydinky, you will be disappointed with many others too. Toyo field cameras are pretty solid. Is the camera all black? I wonder if it is an ancient model?