Thread: Taking photo paper into Mexico

Taking photo paper into Mexico

I will be going to Mexico for a month, and wonder how I can take black and white bergger paper safely into the country. I think they have security equipment upon entering ( as well as US departure security equipment.)
    Other than asking for a hand inspection, is there any kind of protection, like the protective film bags? Any other ideas?

Re: Taking photo paper into Mexico

You might contact Fed-Ex and ask them about shipping it to Mexico. I've not used Fed-Ex for out of country shipping of film, but they had (likely still do) special handling for photo-sensitive materials domestically. I used to ship film ahead to my desitination and then back home via Fed-Ex to avoid airport scans.

retrogrouchy

Firstly, I wouldn't expect problems on any scanner that is film-safe because paper is generally much slower (less sensitive) than film. So as long as you take it through as carry-on luggage with your film, it should be OK. Packed in checked luggage, maybe not so much.

Secondly, why take paper for a month-long trip? Do you have a darkroom where you're going? Personally I'd just be shooting a bunch and not worry about processing or printing until I got home.

I will be renting a darkroom, but apparently others have had trouble with scanners after arrival in Mexico. Thanks for the Fedex suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Hull View Post
    I will be renting a darkroom, but apparently others have had trouble with scanners after arrival in Mexico. Thanks for the Fedex suggestion.
    I didnt have any problems with b&w and colour film (100-400 iso range) going through air there, and then actually colour one went all the way to Siberia (i was lazy and i have lab in Russia that process 120 film for .. free - they going after prints). No fogging. Wouldnt expect any issues with paper, apart may be from light exposure if you leave it in luggage

Quote Originally Posted by SergeiR View Post
    I didnt have any problems with b&w and colour film (100-400 iso range) going through air there, and then actually colour one went all the way to Siberia (i was lazy and i have lab in Russia that process 120 film for .. free - they going after prints). No fogging. Wouldnt expect any issues with paper, apart may be from light exposure if you leave it in luggage
    Or they count the sheets!