Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone been to the 'Stans?

Scott Davis

Anyone been to the 'Stans?

I'm thinking of doing a trip to Kyrgyzstan and/or Uzbekistan. Anyone here ever been, and have any tips for places to go, things to see, food to eat/not eat, film selection, etc? Given the general difficulty of logistics, I'm planning on taking the Rolleiflexes, and not the 5x7.

Re: Anyone been to the 'Stans?

Aren't those two countries pretty dangerous, especially to Westerners (and doubly especially to Americans)?

I was born in Uzbekistan. In Uzbekistan, Tashkent and Samarkand a must to see places. In Tashkent no danger with food or water at all, and actually food are delicious, but in other places, especially small towns, be careful with water and food. This region very hot during the summer, so food easily can be spoiled. In small towns or farms it is better to avoid non bottled water and not freshly cooked food. Unfortunately I haven’t been there about 15 years already, but as I know things getting better there to, so I won’t worry too much.

(Shrek)

I was planning a trip to Uzbekistan when my wife vetoed it. It is obviously not as safe as a week in a resort in Jamaica, but that's never stopped me before, and I really wanted to see Samarkand.

+1 many times over for Tashkent and Samarkand. These places have the best blend of classical Persian and Oriental architecture anywhere. Probably second only to Isfahan, Iran.

Scott Davis

As far as safety is concerned, there are no current or recent travel warnings on the http://travel.state.gov website for either Kyrgyzstan or Uzbekistan. Just about all of Africa has warnings, except Morocco, Namibia, and South Africa, and a depressingly significant quantity of countries in Central and South America. I'm surprised though that they don't have one up for Brazil, given the riots they've had there lately.

I have the same opinion, there is nothing to worry about. Definitely you need somebody to accompany you speaking English and native ore at list Russian. But I'm sure in Tashkent you will find a lot of travel agencies with good reputation, this people can help. And native people in Uzbekistan very friendly. Do not forget to visit a farm markets in Tashkent.

Scott Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    I was planning a trip to Uzbekistan when my wife vetoed it. It is obviously not as safe as a week in a resort in Jamaica, but that's never stopped me before, and I really wanted to see Samarkand.
    Depends on your definition of safe Less likely to sleep on 300-thread count sheets, less likely to have to eat something you don't want to, more likely to get robbed if you leave the resort. I'll take the wierd food and the yurt, and get to watch Golden Eagles hunt in 15,000 foot mountain peaks, and maybe getting stuck when the Soviet-era army truck breaks an axle on a "road".

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Davis View Post
    I'm thinking of doing a trip to Kyrgyzstan and/or Uzbekistan.
    I've always wanted to go to the mountains of central Asia (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, and even Xinjiang, China) in search of wild apple trees. This is the area of the world where apples originated. It seemed like a good photographic project, and it seems like a project I'll probably never have the opportunity to pursue. If you (or anyone else) wants to pick up that baton and run with it, I'd like to see the resulting prints.

Bruce Watson

Scott Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    I've always wanted to go to the mountains of central Asia (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, and even Xinjiang, China) in search of wild apple trees. This is the area of the world where apples originated. It seemed like a good photographic project, and it seems like a project I'll probably never have the opportunity to pursue. If you (or anyone else) wants to pick up that baton and run with it, I'd like to see the resulting prints.
    Apples sounds interesting. I wasn't aware of their origin there. I grew up in an apple orchard area of south-central Pennsylvania, so we had the freshest pies, applesauce, and anything else you can think of making with apples. Some peaches too, but not like the apples. I know about Kyrgyzstan having the world's largest walnut forest, and is the origin of walnuts in Europe.