Thread: Epson 3880 on a wireless network

Epson 3880 on a wireless network

Perhaps this is a dumb newbie question, but is there difference in the accuracy of the signal to a printer and the eventual print quality when transmitting on a wireless network vs Ethernet cable? I am going to purchase an Epson 3880 and am trying to decide between the base model and the "Designer", which has wireless capability. Are there any other differences of importance?
    Thanks so much.

Re: Epson 3880 on a wireless network

Quote Originally Posted by hmf View Post
    is there difference in the accuracy of the signal to a printer and the eventual print quality when transmitting on a wireless network vs Ethernet cable?
    Nope the only difference is how fast the digital signal takes to get from computer to printer.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by hmf View Post
    Perhaps this is a dumb newbie question, but is there difference in the accuracy of the signal to a printer and the eventual print quality when transmitting on a wireless network vs Ethernet cable? I am going to purchase an Epson 3880 and am trying to decide between the base model and the "Designer", which has wireless capability. Are there any other differences of importance?
    Thanks so much.
    Wireless printing can be problematic. I would suggest using an app like Wi-fi Analyzer to look at the consistency of your Wi-Fi signal. If you get a signal drop in the middle of a big file transfer the printer, the print will job will be interrupted and you'll have to start over. Use Wi-fi Analyzer and have someone walk around the space where the Wi-Fi router and printer are and see how strong and stable the signal is, and whether you get any signal interference from other near-by signals..

If you can do what you need with USB or ethernet, ignore the wireless. Only thing you'd need wireless on a printer for is to put it somewhere there is no wires, far from the computer, or if you have no network (wired or wireless) and need to print wirelessly, which would be uncommon. It will be slower than wired typically as well.

Sounds like I should keep things simple and plan on communicating with my 3880 via Ethernet cable.

Thanks for your help.