Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Nearby trips for upcoming vacation

Near catastrophe in Arcata

I made it to Arcata yesterday (Sunday) and started driving around and shooting. On one of these shootings, I had my camera on the tripod all set and was getting some other things from the car, so I leaned the camera against the care, securely, I thought. Then, as I walked away from it, THE CAMERA FELL TO THE GROUND!!!! The back standard went flying, and the camera hit the ground with the front standard flat on the hard pavement. The lens (300mm) is not broken and appears to be working fine, but the ring got dinged. It's got scratches and it definitely bent. I think it could still a filter around it as most of it is still nice and round. We'll see.

Anyway, after that scare I was more careful. Today (Monday) I'll go to Redwoods Nat'l Park.
    --Mario

Confirmed: catastrophe in Arcata, CA

I tried using the lens yesterday and it appears it did suffer some damage from hitting the ground. When I got my shot all ready, set my aperture and shutter speed, but when I tried to cock the shutter, it didn't do it, it fired right away. Do you think this is reparable? I mean in an affordable manner that wouldn't make it easier to just buy another one? I'm really bummed and I want to kick myself for being so dumb and prop my camera that way. Always set it down, people, always set it down.

I leave Arcata today. I'm going into Eureka this morning to look at the Ansel Adams prints (I hope they're still there), and then I leave. I'm going to Crater Lake OR tomorrow. I still don't have a place to stay. HELP!!
    --Mario

Re: Nearby trips for upcoming vacation

Sorry to hear about the lens! AA prints still up (gave you a call, but your phone is off). Check out Fern Canyon and the Prairie Creek Trail!

Happy trails!

Vaughn

SF Bay Area 94303

"Craters of the Moon in Idaho is a vast ocean of lava flows with scattered islands of cinder cones and sagebrush. We invite you to explore this "weird and scenic landscape" where yesterday's volcanic events are likely to continue tomorrow... " from the NPS folks.
    The place is awesome. Don't miss it if you are close.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Sorry to hear about the lens! AA prints still up (gave you a call, but your phone is off). Check out Fern Canyon and the Prairie Creek Trail!

Happy trails!

Vaughn
    Vaughn, thanks, got your call. The phone wasn't off. It just decided not to ring and it went directly to voice mail. I did see the the prints. They were great. I did the Cathedral something or other trail. I'm surprised I managed to complete it. With all my equipment and that heavy tripod, I was carrying quite a load. Going to the gym on a regular basis has truly paid off!!
    --Mario

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Fry View Post
    "Craters of the Moon in Idaho is a vast ocean of lava flows with scattered islands of cinder cones and sagebrush. We invite you to explore this "weird and scenic landscape" where yesterday's volcanic events are likely to continue tomorrow... " from the NPS folks.
    The place is awesome. Don't miss it if you are close.
    Definitely for another trip, Kirk. I'll be doing more of this. Why didn't I do this sooner???
    --Mario

Kind folks, as I was driving to Oregon on the 5 N, I kept seeing a beautiful mountain with some snow already at the peak. Of course, not being an outdoors person it didn't dawn on me until much later that what I was looking at was Mt Shasta (yeah, the big signs announcing that I was getting closer to Shasta City helped). On my way back I would like to stop and photograph it the way it looked when I was driving up. What are some good lookout points to take some pictures of it? Places not too far from the 5 S, I wouldn't want to drive off course too far. Thanks.
    --Mario

I seem to remember 20 years ago just pulling off the highway a couple of miles north of the mountain and a short walk gave me a very nice view point. Unless things have changed dramatically there, you should be able to easily photograph it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dozer View Post
    I seem to remember 20 years ago just pulling off the highway a couple of miles north of the mountain and a short walk gave me a very nice view point. Unless things have changed dramatically there, you should be able to easily photograph it.
    I did. North side. The side showing the most snow.
    --Mario