Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Portable 4x5 for use with 450 lens

Portable 4x5 for use with 450 lens

Tachihara offers a bellows extension for the 4x5; it would allow infinity focus with up to 600mm lenses. I'd be concerned about rigidity of the resulting system, though.

One camera not mentioned is the Linhof Technikardan, that should also work for your needs.

I have just come back from a family trip to Scotland during which I spent the evenings yomping around the local scenery with my Sinar Norma. My most used lenses are a 150 mm and a 18". The 150 works well on a 6" rail, which makes the camera as compact as it can be. I carry a 12" basic rail which I add for close ups and when using the 18" lens. With everything extended I can focus down to thirty feet or so with the 18" lens, and past 1:1 with the 150. The standard bellows (mine is a modern one) allows this but is fairly tight which might promote flare. The bellows also comlains a bit when using more than moderate movements with the 150 mm, but I've not had a problem in the field.

Sinars aren't light, but the bulk of mine bothers me more than the weight. They are rigid, and I don't bother with a second tripod, although I have been known to loop the handstrap of my Leki pole around the rail in strong winds to provide a makeshift monopod. I have a 5x7 back and bellows, but haven't bothered to get a reducing back so I can use it with the 18" lens. For a 600 mm it would be useful, as it eliminates the need to pfaff about with two bellows and an intermediate standard. My 5x7 back and bellows allows a 150 to be focussed on infinity, but movements are pretty restricted.

I spoke to Jeff at Badger Graphics, and he advised me to simply get the Arca 700mm bellows, and use my existing Discovery along with my 25cm extension. Concerned with rigidity, I had thought of aquiring new rail brackets, but Jeff insisted that the rails and existing bracket are already quite rigid, even when the camera is at fiull extension.

Upon closer examination, I see he is right: any further bracing would contribute nothing more, unless I was trying to use the camera as a crowbar or tire iron. Such is the quality of Arca Swiss, for which I am grateful.

Many thanks to all the sages on this list. Whatta resource !

If I make any keepers, I will post one, once the money arrives and gets quickly converted to equipment.