Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kayak/Canoe recommendations

Scott Davis

Kayak/Canoe recommendations

I'm looking for something compact, probably inflatable, that can be transported in a regular sedan, preferably cheap, for use on flat water/slow rivers. I found this: http://www.rei.com/product/800980/fr...flatable-kayak that seems to fit the bill but I was wondering if anyone had other recommendations.

Re: Kayak/Canoe recommendations

Paddlling.net is a great resource: http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/

I personally would not be in the water in an inflatable (but maybe that's due to my fear of gators ;-( When I lived in Virginia I had a 15' canoe which gave me stability for taking pictures, but I think a 12' would be more convenient for portaging any distance. I know a couple who use kayaks for their LF photography, but it requires good balance and a long tripod.
    You might also consider a short rowboat, eg, at Dick's SGs
    van Huyck Photography
    "Searching for the moral justification for selfishness" JK Galbraith

I would go with the row boat. It will fit more large format gear, with less fear of dumping it all in the lake. Mine fits easily on a car top. Add a sail and take a break from rowing!
    ...Dilettante! Who you calling a Dilettante?

Renting ~ borrowing makes so much more sense for that kind of thing. I own a nice paddling kayak but those inflatables aren't nearly as much fun to actually paddle....

Renting is best and cheapest. That REI thing is a pool raft, good inflatables are expensive.

Calm calm water use a hunting/fishing rig, put it on the car roof. Maybe this. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boati...3Bcat104581980
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Davis View Post
    I'm looking for something compact, probably inflatable, that can be transported in a regular sedan, preferably cheap, for use on flat water/slow rivers. I found this: http://www.rei.com/product/800980/fr...flatable-kayak that seems to fit the bill but I was wondering if anyone had other recommendations.
    If compact is your main criteria, check out Sea Eagle. They seem to get very good reviews and they have a wide range of prices and sizes. While I do not have one, a friend of mine does and likes it so far. He says it fits in a medium size "suitcase."

Pay attention to the REI consumer reviews for that one. I'm not a flatwater boater, more this, but the Oru Kayak, a 21st century Folboat, looks pretty sweet. The Aires are more robust and have been paddled on Class V-ish water, assuming one has the WW experience to go there. Perhaps searching CL for them or an old Sevylor might be your best bet. Then learn and practice proper boating safety, for any kind of water.

Canoes are a different kettle of fish (and that may be there best use), but you know what they say: Twice the paddle, half the man. Guilty as charged!

I would rent a canoe or rent/borrow a truck to move my own canoe before using an inflatable kayak. You're going to need a pump to fill the inflatable or it's going to be a pretty good lung workout filling that thing, and it won't be suitable for transporting tripods or anything sharp.

Kayaks move through the water faster than canoes, but the downside is they don't have the cargo capacity and aren't usually two person capable. Now some people prefer kayaks over teamwork as not everyone is good at working with someone else in a canoe. I like canoes for their capacity; all the camera gear and supplies you'd need for a while, and I'm not in any hurry to get from point a to point b. I usually use a discovery 169 for 2 adults, two kids, and camera gear. I bought it on the side of the road for $250. Shorter canoes are good for individual use. In high school, I went on a weeklong canoe trip, and two people can camp quite comfortably with all their stuff and a canoe to transport it.

Smaller rowboats are also good for flat water, but not the ocean or wavy water (such as big/fast boat wakes) or windy large lakes. On the ocean, I've dumped them trying to land on uneven beaches with waves coming in. We call the little ones "clorox bottles" as they are white plastic and small. Basically avoid the smallest. A flat bottomed rowboat will handle wavy landings much better.

An extra paddle/oar is also useful as it is possible to lose or break one.

Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    Now some people prefer kayaks over teamwork as not everyone is good at working with someone else in a canoe.
    We used to call two "man" canoes and kayaks divorce boats.