Hey! My name is Brian and I'm originally from Oglethorpe, GA but now make my home with my wife in Macon, GA. I'm a hobbyist photographer that shoots a mix of digital and film in 35mm and medium format. I've been thinking of making the leap to large format for a couple of years and I may have a project that will finalize that jump.

I have been wanting to do a photography project documenting where I grew up, Macon county. I recently found out that during the Great Depression, the FSA sent photographers (including Dorothea Lange) to Macon county. In the spirit of these great photographers, I'd like to do my project with a large format camera. I have the opportunity to buy a Crown Graphic with a 135mm Optar f/4.7, so I think that will be the camera for the project. The project should take about a year, but it might take longer, and will be shot entirely on Kodak color and black and white film.

I need the advice of folks who know what they're doing. I'm going to be starting a Kickstarter campaign to fund the project that will produce a photo book of my images and stories of the people and places I photograph. Am I crazy for wanting to use a large format camera for this kind of project?