Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Canon i9900 vs Epson 2200

Canon i9900 vs Epson 2200

Ted --

Yes, I'd forgotten about Epson's clogging problems...they are a real pain. You can find a lot of info on this topic and many others concerning printers at http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1003. It's dedicated mostly to inkjet printing and there is a wealth of information there.

As far as printers and line art go: you're right, you don't see much info on the two. I can only guess it's because if a printer can do decent photos then it can probably handle line art with ease. About that paper, I don't know but I bet you can find out at the above link.

About archival inks, there's one other thing to consider: everything I've read says that pigment-based (archival) inks aren't as vibrant as dye-based inks. I don't know myself as I've never been able to compare. If you have a CompUSA near you, I understand they'll let you print one of your files on both the i9900 and the 2200 so you can compare yourself. Archival isn't much good if you're unhappy with the print.

BTW: Very nice site and great artwork!

Kirk --

Who is George DeWolfe? I've read that same opinion from other printing experts, but only when talking about prints for sale. I've also read opposing views, stating that the stories of fading problems with dye inks are overblown and that dye ink prints, when treated properly, will last as long as photos.

The additional ink you're talking about is what Epson calls their "gloss optimizer," which is another ink cartridge that adds a clear coating to the print, supposedly fixing the bronzing problem the 2200 has with glossy paper. This was implemented in the R800, which is what I meant above when I said the R800 will give you glossy prints. The replacement I heard about and you mention above is probably the 2200 with that cartridge added (and hopefully other improvements).

Is it possible to find out from your sources what they mean by "relatively soon?" I need to do something quickly: my print service charges $6.75 for an 8x10.

Thanks

The Epson 2200 will be discontinued and replaced with the R800 insides and printing technology. Sometime Next Year is the only thing Epson Rep. he couldn't specify a quarter for release either. I would assume it will be soon as the R800 is already out with the technology.

Paul,

George is a photo instructor who lives in Maine but teaches workshops all over the country including Maine and Santa Fe and by email. he is the most knowledgeable digital guy that I know personally. He is currently doing a series on "The Digital Fine Print Workshop: 16 bit workflow" for Camera Arts.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Thanks Wes & Kirk. I did find a lot on George via Google.

But is there *no* further info on a release for the new Epson? I just paid over 26 bucks for two 8x10's and one 11x14. And the 11x14 stunk.

I know when they'll release it: 31 days after I buy the i9900.

Paul,

That is the way of things these days. I bought an Epson 3200 scanner two months before the 4870 came out which is a far superior machine and cheaper. The 3200 is now a paper weight. Anyone want to buy it? Make me an offer.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

We have the 2200's here at school. The big difference with Canon and Epson is the whole archival ink issues. I do know that if you spray your non archival prints they will last for years 30 plus. Most color prints RA4 won't last 30 years.

Paul if your paying 26 dollars for 8x10's and 11x14's your going to the wrong lab. I pay about a 2 bucks a print for 10's and 4 for 14's. You can even get cheaper if you have a costco around. costco has their profiles up on the net and I have had really good luck with them. I currently use a little lab in San Antiono... www.saphotoexpress.com. Most consitent prints I have seen.

for my needs I can't see printing with an ink jet. The inks are to costly and your using a printer that cant be fixed if something goes wrong. Normal life of a printer is 3 to 5 years if your lucky.. Now for special paper and fine art prints I would have to go with the Canon and spray the print. The spray is non glossy or you can get a glossy. I have used retouching spray on prints and did some pencil work then sprayed the print with a matte spray. Looks great. I have also heard from the Canon Guy that Canon is in the works with an archival ink. Or is it really a dye? =]

a_