Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Travel with film and xrays?

Drew Wiley

Re: Travel with film and xrays?

I carried-on TMY400 in both 35mm and sheet film last yr, had it X-rayed three times, and no measurable effect whatsoever - not even any fbf increase compared to
    control film. Just printed one of those sheet film shots yesterday.

Agreed; maybe there should be a sticky at the top of this section?

or people should follow the rules and do a search first. http://www.largeformatphotography.in...rules_faq_item
    When people say things like "my film was fine, just run it through" are they assuming ALL scanners world-wide are the same machine and therefore harmless to film?

Imagowan

Do you this it is better to have your exposed sheet film in holders or back in their boxes? I just flew to France from NYC. I brought my portrait 400 4x5 film in my carry on and asked for a hand check. The woman put the wand to it but then claimed I needed to run it through the machine because she could not see what was inside. I explained one could not open it without exposing to the film and she then pointed to the yellow sticker on the film box keeping closed saying usually the boxes don't have that and they have an opening. I didn't really understand so but the film through the machine. On the way home is it worth it to ask for a hand check? Obviously it comes with me on the plane but if I do ask for hand check, holders or in the box? Does anyone know what she meant in regard to the box being completely sealed up (or she another poorly informed airport worker) when I ask for a hand check what should be the proper procedure and how should I present the film. I've read a lot on this already and know sending it through should be fine but I'm still worried. Thanks!

I've requested a hand check when possible. I ALWAYS give more time if I plan to do so. Rushing an already nervous TSA agent isn't a good thing, and is likely to get you put back in the 'x-ray it or it goes in the trash' line.

I always greet them, ask their name, and try to ask them how their day is going(usually it's a "(sigh)...... LONG".... Well, it's worked EVERY TIME. Be courteous, be kind, and be adamant about how this film means a lot to you. They've always just brought out the little 3" wipes, wipe down each box, and put it into a machine to sample it.

FYI, so you don't get a false reading like I did one time, DO NOT use a bag that has ever had firearms/shooting-related items in it. Fireworks included. I had a backpack full of unexposed 8x10 transparency film(about 150 sheets) on a flight a few years ago, and stupid me, I put it in a backpack that I had (forgotten about at the time) used a few times when going to the shooting range. Even with a 6mo window between having put boxes of ammunition in that pack, and when I was going through TSA with it, some 'residue' of some sort transferred to a few boxes. Just enough to cause the testing machine to flash the code/whatever for "explosives". Needless to say, I nearly sh** myself when I heard this. That's when the "history" of the backpack dawned on me, and I spilled the beans to the TSA agent. He kindly did a swab down with a fresh testing pad, and when it came up ok, he said I was free to go.

That was about 20mins or so. I didn't have a problem with the timing aspect, since I budgeted at least 1hr for just the process. Yes, I'm weird. But ANY less x-rays/whatever hitting my film, I just sleep better at night

fyi, this was here at LAX(Los Angeles).
    Iceland's INT'L airport coming back in 2010, the agent was nice enough to take me aside, and we opened up a few boxes in a changing bag. He even let me have one arm in the bag when he had one in the other side.

YMMV of course, the general consensus here is that handheld/carry-on luggage scanners are fine for film. DO NOT CHECK your film in your checked baggage.
    But some of us have personal preferences to get as few x-rays as possible. Myself included

-Dan

In 2011, I flew from Houston to Denver with several un-opened boxes of 4x5. The ISO 50 and 100 film went through the carry-on x-ray. I asked for hand inspection of the 50 sheet box of Tri-X. I spoke with someone from TSA and described the packaging inside and how sensative the film is. When I got the box back it had been opened. when I went to load the film, I found that they had opened both packets inside too. Both sets were fogged.

Any suggestions?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

@Drew,

good luck with getting anything (money or even a reply, much less an apology) from TSA

next time, DON'T let it out of YOUR sight.

the line "I have high-speed film, and will require a hand check/swab" usually works for me, those magical words "high speed" sound off in their heads for some reason.

-Dan