Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: building a camera case

building a camera case

LOL, Frank. It's possible you already have, but didn't realize it, and might again on some underground site. ;-)

building a camera case

My local Home Depot carries brass hinges, latches and the corner protector caps. I'm pretty sure that Lowes has the same inventory.

building a camera case

My old 4x5 Kodak Master View came with a wooden case. The damned thing weighed a ton.

building a camera case

Why not just get a good strap and hang it round your neck, it seems to be the fashion among Americans visiting London.

building a camera case

For a really sturdy, professional approach, try to find a manufacturer of flightcases near your place. Flightcases are the custom built cases used by musicians to protect their equipment while travelling. They are usually built using 10 mm plywood and aluminium corners and edges. These cases are nearly unbreakable, for the cost of weight and - cost. Some of the manufacturers sell the aluminium parts as well, so you could DIY build one and save some precious money for films and travelling.

Regards, Dirk

building a camera case

"Why not just get a good strap and hang it round your neck, it seems to be the fashion among Americans visiting London. --mark blackman"

LOL. To the vision of such walking ahead of you and yours, You can forget about him dear, it's his camera.
    Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure... Life is either daring adventure or nothing: Helen Keller.

building a camera case

I found a very good case on ebay for my 8x10 B&J for $18 plus shipping. It is actually a case made by Fujinon for one of their video lenses. Made out of aluminum-clad thin plywood, has reinforced corners, strong locking latches, good self supporting hinges and weighs just slightly less than the camera. It is pretty much bullet proof, but the whole case and equipment sent me to the back cracker after the first use.

Try to decide if you need a helper if you build a box which will take the camera, lens, meter, film holder and dark cloth. Mine stays in the car now and I work out of it unless I can get someone to help cary it around.

building a camera case

If I were in the market for a new, custom case, my first call would be to Bob Albano at Case Technology Inc. - (978) 356-6011 (they are at 26 Hayward Street, Ipswich, MA 01938). The company I work for had a custom flight case for an LCD monitor built by them and it's fantastic. While they don't make "cheap" cases, they make damn good cases and it's money well spent. Talk with Bob about your requirements and he'll let you know your options.

building a camera case

I found a tool box at my local Lowe's for $29US. I removed the inner tool tray and added a bit of foam and it fits my Orbit 8x10 perfectly. It comes with wheels on one end and an extended handle on the other so that it can be pulled along on smooth terrain like rolling luggage. It's even fine for carrying in the back of my pickup.

However, if I were going to be shipping the camera, I'd want something more sturdy. The company that, IIRC, developed road cases for musicans is Anvil. They have a page online that allows you to design a custom case.

http://www.anvilcase.com/

(no affiliation, etc.)