Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4X5 dgitital backs

Re: 4X5 dgitital backs

If you want to do digital with a view camera, you should consider 6 x 9, not 4 x 5. There don't seem to be any full frame 4 x 5 digital backs.

I recently posted a similar question and after everything that people suggested, I got myself a Nikon D800. It is a full frame 35 mm digital camera which produces a 7,360 x 4,912 image, or 36 Mpx. Of course this is a Bajer array rather than one having RGB values for each pixel, and you can do considerably better with a 4 x 5 camera, but it is still good enough to make 16 x 20 prints indistinguishable from those made from a 4 x 5 frame.

It doesn't have all the features of a view camera, but you can get tilt-shift lenses which provide many of those features. In addition, because of the smaller format gives you so much more depth of field, you don't need tilts and swings as much using its normal lenses. So the major lack, as I see it, is not having rise/fall and shifts with the normal lenses.

I don't plan to abandon my 4 x 5 view camera, but I scan my 4 x 5 film to convert to digital.

Mike Collette has a pretty decent portfolio of landscape images with the Betterlight scanning back (his product) at

http://betterlight.com/gallery/MC_gallery/MC_lobby.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jim collum View Post
    Mike Collette has a pretty decent portfolio of landscape images with the Betterlight scanning back (his product) at

http://betterlight.com/gallery/MC_gallery/MC_lobby.html
    How does he manage to get such detail of trees and other plants with a scanning back? If I understand how those work, you need exposures of many seconds. I often have trouble with wind moving foliage if I shoot at 1/15.

i shoot a lot with one as well.. The trick is when. It works well for me.. since 90% of my shooting is done from about an hour before the sun rises to about an hour after. Probably the stillest time of day.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonard Evens View Post
    How does he manage to get such detail of trees and other plants with a scanning back? If I understand how those work, you need exposures of many seconds. I often have trouble with wind moving foliage if I shoot at 1/15.