Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 8x10 enlarger from a sinar p

Re: 8x10 enlarger from a sinar p

I don't want to jinx this project but I think its going to be easier than I thought.

For a basic test I mounted my 8x10 Sinar P on a tripod. Took a 300mm Rodenstock lens and mounted it backwards in a lens board. Placed a negative over the GG and pointed the thing at a wall. Using a studio hotlight dome placed it over the GG holder and projected an image on the wall. Moving the tripod allowed for a wide range of image sizes. Using a long Sinar rail and moving the standards gave a lot of adjustment as well. I don't have enough horizontal bench in the darkroom but I have plenty of floor room to find a wall to aim at.

I'm going to make a frame to hold an easel on the wall with x/y adjustments. I've got a hercules tripod with geared adjustments in all directions. I figure with all the adjustments the Sinar standards have and using the laser alignment tool I can get all the stages fine tuned. Now I have to figure out a light source!

I knew it was easy.

When you get set up, take a pic of the mess and show us.

Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by redshift View Post
    I don't want to jinx this project but I think its going to be easier than I thought.

For a basic test I mounted my 8x10 Sinar P on a tripod. Took a 300mm Rodenstock lens and mounted it backwards in a lens board. Placed a negative over the GG and pointed the thing at a wall. Using a studio hotlight dome placed it over the GG holder and projected an image on the wall. Moving the tripod allowed for a wide range of image sizes. Using a long Sinar rail and moving the standards gave a lot of adjustment as well. I don't have enough horizontal bench in the darkroom but I have plenty of floor room to find a wall to aim at.

I'm going to make a frame to hold an easel on the wall with x/y adjustments. I've got a hercules tripod with geared adjustments in all directions. I figure with all the adjustments the Sinar standards have and using the laser alignment tool I can get all the stages fine tuned. Now I have to figure out a light source!
    Tin Can

Also shoot some chromes and you have a huge slide projector to bore the kids with.
    Tin Can

Clyde Butcher has a horizontal enlarger made from a copy camera. So, it's possible and practical - at least for one person.

Quote Originally Posted by redshift View Post

For a basic test I mounted my 8x10 Sinar P on a tripod. Took a 300mm Rodenstock lens and mounted it backwards in a lens board....
    Redshift - not sure why you felt the compulsion to mount your lens backwards - that's only going to (in theory only possibly) reap results if you're trying to reduce the size of the image down from 8x10 (in the range of two inches or smaller) really...

but I applaud your efforts - there's really no reason why a healthy bit of sinar kit wouldn't work well for the application. The only trick is working out a solid negative stage and light source. I see no reason why one couldn't have a 'back' fabricated to integrate with the rear standard that wouldn't work well...

Sinar's can do anything, and if they can't, a Horseman will...
    Tin Can

Easy. See my post in DIY for a 5x7 conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by JW Dewdney View Post
    Redshift - not sure why you felt the compulsion to mount your lens backwards - that's only going to (in theory only possibly) reap results if you're trying to reduce the size of the image down from 8x10 (in the range of two inches or smaller) really...

but I applaud your efforts - there's really no reason why a healthy bit of sinar kit wouldn't work well for the application. The only trick is working out a solid negative stage and light source. I see no reason why one couldn't have a 'back' fabricated to integrate with the rear standard that wouldn't work well...
    I'm not sure why I reversed the lens, just seemed logical. I didn't measure the results. With the lens about three feet from the wall I was able to get an image in the 8x10 range in focus. At this stage of the project that was all I needed for confirmation. I'll have to study this issue as I go along.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Meisburger View Post
    Easy. See my post in DIY for a 5x7 conversion.
    Thanks Tim. Looks like a good source of inspiration. kevin

Didn't Ansel Adams do this with his 8x10 camera? I believe so.....