Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How do you get an 8x10 to get a worms-eye view?

Re: How do you get an 8x10 to get a worms-eye view?

Even with a mirror, a hole must be dug to 1/2 the vertical dimension of the mirror in order to get the center of the mirror at ground level. Since another reflecting element in the optical path can subtract from stability, and also a camera hanging off the side like a pendulum will encourage vibration. A hole dug with the camera in the hole is the most stable configuration. It's really the most practical solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    On some tripods you can reverse the column and mount the camera upside down under the tripod.

Jon
    On large Linhof tripods they offered an outrigger mount (still do actually) that fit into the top of the tripod and let you drop the center column straight down from the top. These large linhof tripods accept an extension center column so you could go down until the top of the front standard touches the ground.

Here is an image of a creative photographer from 1957. I have posted this scan before, it is from a Hot Rod magazine. I can't make out what camera is being used, but it looks like an 8X10.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails june13HotRodMag.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by joselsgil View Post
    Here is an image of a creative photographer from 1957. I have posted this scan before, it is from a Hot Rod magazine. I can't make out what camera is being used, but it looks like an 8X10.
    I have put my 8x10 on the ground like that -- though I assumed a different position to look at the GG!