Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Experience with Slavich paper?

Experience with Slavich paper?

I may be late for the party but I learned only recently that there is Slavich FB paper on the market, which I don't know yet. Two kinds are available here, Unibrom and Portraitbrom. Does anyone here have experience with this paper and would mind to share it? I've been using Ilford Galerie forever and absolutely love it. Unfortunately, it's getting more and more difficult to get it here, so, I'd love to have an alternative. Is it worth a try?

Thanks for any input.
    c&c always welcome!

"The world just does not fit conveniently into the format of a 35mm camera." (W. Eugene Smith)

http://peter-yeti.jimdo.com

Re: Experience with Slavich paper?

no - but i would love to hear opinions too. I had the impression galerie wasn't anything like it used to be - i used to use it constantly back in 'the day' (early 80s) but was disappointed when I tried several years back... best thing i found in recent years was EMAKS...

I use Galerie since the early 90s and didn't observe much change. Maybe I'm not critical enough. But it's also a few years ago that I last bought a batch of it, which is running low now. Wasn't Emaks made by Fotokemika and thus is dead by now?
    c&c always welcome!

"The world just does not fit conveniently into the format of a 35mm camera." (W. Eugene Smith)

http://peter-yeti.jimdo.com

Peter - I stopped using galerie in 84 so I can't comment on what it's been like from the 90s until now - I assume what changes I saw occurred in that time period maybe... or it COULD be my imagination... but my guess is that maybe it was subject to changes much in the same way that Agfa's papers were (due to environmental regulations) etc. The EMAKS is still available to buy new. Perhaps it's just the fact that it's a graded paper rather than it's specific formulation - I prefer to to MCC greatly - graded papers tend to be LOT less muddy looking to my eye..

I have a friend who uses ilford warmtone for all her work and I think her prints are amazing - i'm sure a lot of it depends on your specific process etc... YMMV

Slavich papers are excellant...u need to try it for yourself and then make the judgement
    peter

Quote Originally Posted by JW Dewdney View Post
    Peter - I stopped using galerie in 84 so I can't comment on what it's been like from the 90s until now - I assume what changes I saw occurred in that time period maybe... or it COULD be my imagination... but my guess is that maybe it was subject to changes much in the same way that Agfa's papers were (due to environmental regulations) etc.
    The original Galerie was replaced by Galerie FB around 1990. I don't know how much the formulation changed - didn't have any experience printing on the original Galerie myself.

I've seen Mr. Schrager's prints on Slavich. He knows whereof he speaks.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Slavich grade 4 is fantastic for lith printing.... Where is this paper available??
    I have used this paper for mural and smaller prints and really nice in Double Weight.

I would like to get my hands on a steady stock.

the Lambda digital silver paper I use is Gallerie and has incredible blacks if I say so myself.
    It has a red sensitivity addition to allow it to work with the lasers but runs through the chemical just like any fibre paper, minus safelight .