Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: anyone ever heard of a Dick Phillips Compacta II 8x10?

anyone ever heard of a Dick Phillips Compacta II 8x10?

Sal,

Most recently, I purchased a plywood Phillips board a few years ago. a while back I went to my local modeller's shop and got some baltic birch plywood and made some boards of my own. I recall I may have had to laminate two sheets together to get the correct thickness.

Regardless, the resin will probably machine just as easily as the wood (with a router, jig saw, etc.), but it may be somewhat flimsy when a large hole is cut out of the middle. My homemade adaptor for the Phillips to Canham/small Toyo boards works quite well, and was designed to fit in the camera while it is folded, so I leave it there all the time.

---Michael

Toyo manufactures a Toyo/Sinar adaptor lensboard (also works for Toyo/Horseman)that can be ordered through B&H; see

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=61109&is=REG

I have one that allows me to use lensboards from my Phillips cameras on my Canham. Having said that, I much prefer the Phillips; the combination of light weight and rigidity is hard to beat.

I'd love to have a look at either an Explorer or Compact II. Anyone in the Boston area (within 100 miles) have one they'd be willing to show off?

Chris

Hi Chris,

Yes to your question .... look for my email.

After using 8x10' s from Linhof, Wista, Tachihara and maybe some others I ordered a Compact II from Dick Phillips. I didn't know more about this camera than what was written in this forum, but the feedback seemed so good and logical that I bought it without seeing one.

I have nothing but good to say about it. It's been in hard use for over three years now, and I can't imagine of moving to any other brand. One benefit is also the "not antique look" as I use it in urban conditions and was tired to explain to people what I was doing.

I made some samples from true situations in my gallery : http://www.janeerala.net/gallery/ Look for Phillips.

Jan, Finland

Jan, I believe that this is the first time I've ever seen a gallery on computer which clearly shows the quality from 8x10 images (or at least 10" wide images). Some of the pictures are magnificant!
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

so Chris - did you buy it?
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

The Gandolfi Varient Walnut 8x10 only weighs 8.8 pounds, also. Price seems competative with the 8x10 Phillips Compact II. (www.badgergraphic.com)
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

I want to buy a Compact II camera,but I don't know how to cantact R.H. Phillips & Sons .Who can tell me his email? thanks!