Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Beginner Large Format: Ebony or Chamonix?

Re: Beginner Large Format: Ebony or Chamonix?

Depending on your film holder, the diagonal of the largest exposable complete rectangle of film on 5x4" is about 154mm, give or take, so a 150mm lens is as near to bang on normal as you're going to get.

Well, I find the 135mm normal, as that is what I normally use!

Michael, if you want to use the equivalent of what you have been using then you need to get the Chamonix. The Ebony won't cut the mustard for you for longer lenses even with a top hat.

As an aside, I don't know why people don't read the question before providing an opinion. The OP was asking which one he should get based on his usage, not yours...

Well, a 24mm in 35mm is _roughly_ equivalent to a 75mm in 4x5, and a 100-150mm in 35mm is _approximately_ like a 360 to 450mm with a 4x5, but there are many caveats. In my experience, though, many people don't use as wide or as long angle of view lenses with large format that they use with smaller formats, which is not the same as saying that no one does.

A 90mm f6.8 lens would be a reasonably sized and priced starting point. If the poster feels that he regularly needs something wider, then that can be investigated later. The long end is more problematic. To avoid large shutters, a Nikon 300m or a Fuji 300c would be great choices, but they are a little more expensive than the 90mm would be.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

thank you for your suggestions.

i will go for the chamonix because of the versatility using longer lenses.
    for a start i will take the 150mm first, extend with a 75mm and finally end up with 300mm which will be my longest lens on large format.
    five filmholder would be enough for the start.

best michael

I used to shoot a 25mm lens on my 35mm Contax so I bought a 75mm lens for my 6x5 Tachihara thinking that it would be similar. I found it to be too wide and closer to a 20mm on a 35mm or full frame digital camera. I ended up selling the lens and buying a 90mm which I am perfectly happy with.

I suggest that you try out a 75mm and a 90mm before you buy if that is possible.

Doesn't Aspect Ratio of the negative play a part in this discussion of equivilant focal lengths?

Whatever specific dimensions you choose to use, the 35mm format is more narrow than 4x5 (even more so compared to 5x7). If one were to mask or crop 45 negs to the l/W ratio of the 35mm format, I'm sure the images would look more alike . . . .but why do it/

Moving from one format to another always involves a slightly different "look", for many reasons. Aspect ratio is one significant factor.

With that said: Choosing a first camera is somewhat less important than jumping in and doing LF photography. ThereI would think that a simple pin-hole would be a great start. As is no one "Best" camera, and your first will not be your last. Same goes for tripods, camera bags and everything else. As your confidence and interest grow you will be able to make more informed choices in gear selection.

I started out with a well used Speed Graphic. Now I use both 4x5 and 8x10 vintage cameras (love the old woodies).
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Doesn't Aspect Ratio of the negative play a part in this discussion of equivilant focal lengths?
    Yes. We can use the diagonal, the vertical, or the horizontal measure.

I use the horizontal measure.

They are both pretty terrific cameras an no matter which one you buy, it just takes time and experience to shake out your equipment. You are in for a wonderful experience!

Good shooting!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC2967.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	97472 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7961.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	97473

From what you've written, you're almost certain to want to shoot with a 300mm+ lens at some point, so the Chamonix sounds like the right choice.