Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking of "downsizing" from a Linhof Tech Master, to a Tech IV

Re: Thinking of "downsizing" from a Linhof Tech Master, to a Tech IV

You may have trouble finding parts to renovate a Tech IV if they're needed. Linhof apparently made some internal design changes between the Tech V and the Master that aren't visible from the outside.

One that affected me was a change in the interior system for using the back adjustment knobs work (the four knobs that you loosen in order to move the back). One of the knobs on my Tech V broke when it fell off the tripod. The only reason it could be fixed was that Marflex happened to have the internal pieces for a Tech V back on hand. Otherwise I'd have been out of luck.

Bob Salomon could of course address this parts question with much more knowledge than I have. But even apart from that, having owned a Tech V and a Master, there's no way I'd replace the Master with a Tech IV. If nothing else that old system of handling front rise on the IV would be a deal killer for me. While you may pocket some extra money from a sale of a Master and the purchase of a Tech IV, you'll give it right back when you sell a Tech IV instead of a Master. And if you're like most LF photographers, it's not a question of IF you sell, it's a question of WHEN.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I've got a bridge that I'd like to sell you....
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

As Brain already said: front raise on a IV is weak spot: more than once I had composed an image, and than decided to use a filter or the compendium; when installing those on the front standard, the front standard is very easiely pushed down again.

A tech V has a crank system for raise, but on some models the gears (?) or teeth are easily brken, a point to pay attention to when buying a V.

Best,

Cor

If you already own a Master Technika, you have one of the finest 4x5 cameras ever made - period. Even so, in this day and age it has depreciated considerably in value, and you may think that you have more money tied up in it than you really do.

You have the most charming and beautiful woman on your arm, and you want to save on the cost of dinner by switching to her older uglier sister instead?

Keep the MT and get rid of the IV.
    Last edited by Henry Carter; 21-Jun-2013 at 15:31. Reason: edit

Quote Originally Posted by Cor
    A tech V has a crank system for raise, but on some models the gears (?) or teeth are easily brken, a point to pay attention to when buying a V.
    It is not a camera fault, but due to ham-fisted operators who try to crank it when locked.

Thinking of "downsizing" from a Linhof Tech Master, to a Tech IV

That is just plain silly. You have the best Linhof. Any issues are with the operator.
    Last edited by Jac@stafford.net; 27-May-2014 at 14:54. Reason: reconsidered

If the Master is paid for why change?

If you want to take your camera in a situation where it might get ruined (Consider our friend with the Toyo 45a in another thread) and don't want to chance your pretty Master, I could see getting a IV. Otherwise, use the Master.

Richard Johnson

I wonder what he did since he asked the question last year?

I notice that used prices for Masters fluctuate between the low $2000s and higher $3000s, while the IVs are from $500 for a restoration project to $1500 for one with a new bellows and good condition. Maybe the average is only about $1000 price difference for comparable condition cameras? Considering that recamming the lenses is going to be what... $400 each? It doesn't make sense unless you decided you never wanted to use the rangefinder feature and bought the IV on the cheap side.

Of course you could sell all the Linhof stuff and just get a cheaper 4x5 if you wanted to recoup your investment in them.

You're out of your mind (IMO).
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)