Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to build a field camera

Looking to build a field camera

Hi, I'm looking for a little advice and guidance here. I'm looking to build a 8x10 field type camera (or if some one can provide diagrams, a clone of a 2D or other camera of that style). Apart from Jon Grepstads' site, are there any other resources online - e.g places for the machined parts such as focus racks, leaf springs etc. Not very trusting of MDF so I'd rather not go down the bulldog camera route. What kind of wood is suitable? I'll have a good bit of American White Oak and possibly some Maple left over from a renovation project - are these good for constructing the camera or are there better woods to use?

I plan on using part of a Toyo 45G front standard, possibly building in a shutter (depending on how much rescuing it needs, but looking at the ebay pics the shutter cloth is likely shot).

Re: Looking to build a field camera

This link to a quite detailed plan of an 8x10 field camera was posted here a while ago. This is not a tailboard design (like the Kodak 2d), so I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for.

http://web.archive.org/web/200409140...ail/camera.htm

--Matthias

There are other threads on the subject of suitable woods. Look at the wood used for other cameras out there. Maple is one. Oak isn't.
    I'm about 2/3 into builing an 8x10 based on the Phillips Compact. I'm using baltic birch plywood and aluminum. I'll post some pics when it's complete. Simple design really.

Any reason against Oak? They'll be some pitch pine boards left too, but it's a little too soft (though finishes up beautifully with a few coats of tonkinois varnish).

Thanks Matthias, a useful page there. Would prefer the look of tailboard, with extension rails (interested in some photomicrography shots on sheet film, but for ease think that'll be merely 5x4, but I'd like the option to do it on 8x10).

For what I want, please correct me if I'm way out of line, i feel a wooden 8x10 monorail would be too flimsy - I'm improving my wood butchery skills, but they're not that improved. . .

Les

Oak is rather heavy and not as easy to work with. I've had issues with tearouts....it could have been my inexperience. Cherry and mahogany are fairly dense and easier to work with. They are, if properly seasoned (8.5% moisture), not as prone to movements (like cupping or twisting)...though, that goes for most woods. Proper finish should be applied to both sides to keep it that way. Dense and exotic woods may be spectacular, but it makes the camera 2-3X heavier. I have some gorgeous rosewood (maroon in color w/white streaks), but this small piece weights as several bricks. But, if I was building one, I'd likely go with koa wood from Hawaii (v. little imported = expensive), mostly since I already have the wood - v. similar properties to cherry and mahogany.

You can add some contrast (if you wish) and use figured "curly" maple for the lens board/s. You can also go the opposite way and get darker woods for lens boards. Honing your wood skills really helps, but having sharp tools is essential in this endeavor. You can make the camera v. stout even with box dovetails....and especially with conventional dovetails. You could have it both ways, as an object of beauty and as an actual working model, that's a pleasure to shoot with.

Les

Have a good look through this site. It's 5x4 but you could easily scale it up.

http://www.raymentkirbycameras.co.uk/

I have some plans in CAD form too if they're of any use.

Steve.

Oak is dreadful wood for fine work.
    OK for boat-building, timber framed buildings, flooring and peasant furniture.

Any fruit wood, European or tropical, with a straight grain and over 7 years natural seasoning.
    Best source is recycled furniture and fittings.

Vinny, sounds fascinating. Any chance of photos of the work in progress?

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    There are other threads on the subject of suitable woods. Look at the wood used for other cameras out there. Maple is one. Oak isn't.
    I'm about 2/3 into builing an 8x10 based on the Phillips Compact. I'm using baltic birch plywood and aluminum. I'll post some pics when it's complete. Simple design really.

Steven, I normally agree with you, but here I have to disagree. Quarter-sawn white oak is one of the loveliest woods in the world, and if its riven instead of sawn it is very easy to work. Its also very stable. Some early cameras in the US were made from oak, but at that time mahogany was readily available and easier to work and finish. Oak would not be as suitable for a relatively small camera as a fruitwood because it splits easily, and a hard knock on a small piece could easily detach a long splinter.

Oak was used as a standard on the very large Process Cameras along with iron fitments. The small production 1840 - 1860 cameras are often oak - but the joinery here was, at most, dovetailing the boxes.
    I enclose a photo of a lens board for a tailboard camera I have just fixed up (separated and reglued) this morning. This is mahogany and the "splicing filet"(?) is just 1mm. Not possible with oak, I think!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails joinery.jpg