Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DIY 1 to 1 fixed focus 14x17 box portrait camera questions

Re: DIY 1 to 1 fixed focus 14x17 box portrait camera questions

I wish, it's a friends, but I have had a few just like it. I had 8 motorcycles in this space last year, sold all but 2 and got serious with LF and now ULF. I'm too old to play motorcycles seriously these days. I think...

Now the box for the camera is painted, and I did some tests today with the new lens.

Tonight I am making an 8x10 reduction back for it, so I can test the lens faster.

Quote Originally Posted by MMELVIS View Post
    Randy nice work on the camera. Off topic is that your cafe racer in the background on the light board in the b/w image?
    Tin Can

Look forward to the results
    Questions and comments are always welcome

No results yet?
    Michael Cienfuegos

Hit a snag.

My camera is too heavy to be lifted by the ancient Table Top studio stand it came with. As to not destroy that stand, I need to find a new stand. I have a 3" post Semi-Centennial stand but it may be too small also and I do not want to destroy that.

So it's on a workbench, while I find a way.

My stand must be able to lift and angle, as the camera has only one movement, 2 inches of rise.

Also do not hold your breath on images, I will be posting success, not failure.

The 8x10 reducing back is done.

It's a new day, I will post some camera pics in a bit.
    Tin Can

Here are some pics. It has the new Reinhold 790 mm lens mounted, with 3 SB800's for ring flash. I added eight 1/4-20 Insert nuts for options. The 8X10 reducing back is for testing. I also have 2 DIY 11X14 backs/film holders and will be making a 14X17 extension back.

It weighs 52 lbs as pictured and has 52" extension. The addon extension back will give 10" so I can shoot 1 to 1 with 14x17 for portraits.

The last picture is the Table Top stand the camera came with. It is not up to the job and came to me with some rough treatment damage. I think it is over a 100 years old. I am going to give it a rest and some wax.

I have an Arkay studio stand I may try, but it may not be able to balance the Levy. I'll test first with weights. Actually I have 2, maybe I can make them into a single double post.

This is purpose made for studio portraits. I have a shooting project in mind. Code name "Memory Loss."

Last edited by Tin Can; 1-Jul-2013 at 12:27. Reason: fix html
    Tin Can

I put 55 lbs of sandbags on the arm of the Arkay. The locking lever will easily hold that weight, but the balance weight will not lift it. I need to help it a lot to go up. May be very difficult with camera and bellows in the way.

But the stand is stable in all directions with that weight.

so...

Maybe a little winch, not a come-a-long, but what?

I have 12 volt Warn winch...

This is getting crazy!
    Tin Can

This has 19" of lift. I would need to shorten it some, but it would work. It is overkill, but the price is right. Perhaps I can find a long jack and adapt it.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...FRFgMgodBjgAZw

I told you guys, I am an ex-mechanic.
    Tin Can

I guess you won't be taking it out into the field anytime soon. I can send my son and a few of his hefty roommates to move it for you. Wave a few beers in front and they will be docile as kittens. (He lives somewhere in Chicago)
    Michael Cienfuegos

OK Here are some test shots with the camera, using 8x10 back and the new Reinhold 790 mm lens. Obviously lighting and exposure are poor. Straight scans, no PS.

I was looking for softness and sharpness. My earlier tests, shooting the GG with digital showed the supplied f13.5 waterhouse stop to be sharpest at my shooting distance of 7'.

Kodak CSG Green x-Ray rated iso 100. Bellows 45" No movements possible with this camera.

New 12x12 green or yellow lighting gels taped over lens front.

Entire room under red LED safelight. No shutter, pull the DS, wait, trip studio flash.

The very soft ones are wide open, f5.4. The sharper ones are f13.5. One is me. One is Ilko. I set focus to be just in front of nose per Kodak 305 Portrait lens instructions. I'm close.

Tin Can

An old trick to measure the depth of focus for any given lens is to photograph a yardstick that is inclined 45° from vertical.
    Focus on the middle (18" mark) and notice the focus spread fore & aft.
    Since the yardstick is angled at 45° the inch marks are actually 1/2" apart relative to the camera.
    After developing the film, one may find that visible focus is not the same as "chemical" (actinic) focus.
    This gives a better perception of how much to adjust focus to fall where you want it...

Reinhold